30. Revealed

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I couldn't close my eyes. It was dark in Aurora's living room, where we had set up our beds. No one was asleep besides Jack. The house was filled with restless spirits, ready to fight or flight any second. Jaden and I shared a mattress under the windows. Tilly's bed was right next to ours, even though she had her own bedroom she could've used, while Arch had made his bed right next to the couch. Right next to Jack. Aurora was sitting in her chair in the corner with her mate, Alastair, right by her side.

Fenrir stood by the opening between the living room and the entrance hallway. I watched his back for a long, long time, wondering how long I could go without blinking. I couldn't close my eyes even for a second.

'The enemy is close...'

"Jesus fucking christ, Hades..." I hissed with a racing heart, alerting every single being in the room. "Sorry..."

"Hades?" Fenrir frowned and walked closer. "You can reach out to him?"

"He can reach out to me," I muttered.

"How? He shouldn't be able to... Unless his cage is open."

'Tell the Viking god he has nothing to worry about. My cage is still sealed. I can speak to you through my Echo,' Hades spoke to me, and I forwarded his message. 'My Echo is reacting to something. Something evil is close by. The dark side is attracted to it.'

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked, sitting up on the bed. "We can't find anything."

'The Shroud.'

"The Shroud?" I repeated.

"The Shroud?" Fenrir murmured with wide eyes. "That's... The Helm of Hades. That's his gift."

"And how does it work?" I asked.

"It protects you from unwanted eyes. That's why we can't see the enemies." Fenrir sighed. "How did they get their hands on it?"

'Someone has been in my home,' Hades spoke. 'That should be impossible.'

"It's been stolen from Hades' home," I told the others.

"His home..." Fenrir muttered, looking out the window. "So his gifts are out there. In the wrong hands."

"I don't like the sound of that," I whispered.

'Your barriers are strong. The wards can protect you from almost anything,' Hades continued.

"And what it can't keep out?" I asked, dreading to hear the answer.

'Gods. God-like spirits.'

"You mean Sons and Daughters," I guessed.

"What is he saying?" Fenrir asked hastily.