49. Nightfall

-Jack-

-Jack-

I stared out the window at the back of the Hall as Oliver spoke with the Alphas in the room. Things had gone to shit once again, but I... I was scared and worried, of course, but not the same way I used to be. I felt this certain calmness in me. And confidence.

Like this wasn't my first time fighting for our lives, and that had nothing to do with the little battles I'd lived through in my short life. No... That feeling in me was much more ancient than that.

There was movement right next to me. Arch shifted his weight while he leaned against the wall with Tilly right next to him, his eyes white and his senses most likely all over the place as he kept a close eye on our surroundings. I could feel his disappointment in himself. He blamed himself for us getting so easily ambushed, even though it was not his fault. The enemy had once again tricked us.

Adam had tricked us.

But now we knew his secrets.

I turned to see the people in the room and noticed Aurora keeping her eye on me and Tilly. When our eyes met, she smiled and walked to me. She stopped in front of me and placed her hand on my shoulder, giving me a proud look.

"Your true form is magnificent," she whispered, then hugged me.

"Thanks," I murmured back, wrapping my arms around her as well.

I hadn't even realized how much I needed that hug. Her warm arms took away most of the fear and tension I had carried in me. She squeezed me tightly, then pulled back to look at me.

"Look at you..." she whispered. "You are so strong now that your strength gives us strength."

My first reaction was to argue back, but... I was not weak anymore.

"I wouldn't be here without you and this pack. My strength came from all of you," I said.

"That is what families are for," she murmured.

She hugged me again, then took her place between Tilly and me and continued listening to the conversation. I tuned out of it, and instead, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I dug through my memories, trying to find clues and hints about Adam and his castle.

When we searched for Oliver in that place, we'd rushed through boring hallways. I'd not seen anything even mildly interesting in our path. Nothing, not even paintings or statues. Just empty hallways. I'd not felt anything out of the ordinary, either. But the room he'd held Oliver in... That machine Adam had used on him... I'd broken the machine first thing after tearing down the wall between us and them, but Adam could probably fix it. It wasn't important now, anyway. We already knew what it could do. But had there been something else...?

I went through the entire scene, trying to remember every single little detail, but only one thing kept drawing in my attention.

The look on Adam's face when he saw me.