3. Palace

-Jack-

-Jack-

As I followed Alpha Rayleigh through his territory, I couldn't help but notice he was taking the long way around it. I was grateful for not having to go too close to the village, but at the same time, my broken body was running out of strength. Walking in the snow was exhausting, and even though I was taking advantage of the alpha's footprints, I still stumbled and fell several times.

"It's just a little bit further," Rayleigh said when he again helped me back up on my feet. He glanced at me with worry and sadness in his eyes and continued, "I could carry you...?"

"Please, no," I mumbled. "This is embarrassing enough as it is..."

"You're sick, kid, and there's no one around to see it."

"You said it's close, right?" I asked, trying to push past him, but the snow was deep, and my legs were already shaking, so I lost my balance again. He caught me with a heavy sigh, waited for me to get my balance back, and let go of me.

"You alpha kids..." he muttered as he followed me. "Always so stubborn."

"Weren't you one too?" I asked.

"I was born human," he reminded me. "I was turned when I was in college, though Thisalee says the alpha spirit in me was already awake when I was still human. She's a born werewolf."

I'd heard the story, yes. "Her previous boyfriend turned you by force, right?" I asked just to keep my mind off the pain and exhaustion I was in.

"It was a complete accident."

"Oh."

"He was trying to kill me."

"Ah... I see..."

"He claimed Thisalee was his mate, but she never accepted him, and that sniveling moron just couldn't take the hint..." he suddenly trailed off and cleared his throat. "I mean... he was not a good person, so..."

Neither was I. Even before Anthony Attwood poisoned my pack and let Henry possess me, I had not been kind. I had been filled with hate, just like my father still was. And how I hated Jaden... From the very first moment I met him, I hated him with a burning passion, just because he had a good family and a thriving pack.

And I hated Arch.

"I'm sorry," Rayleigh muttered. "But... If you'd give him a chance... who knows? I know he's eagerly waiting for a chance to talk to you."

"Not you too," I sighed. "I know. I know he wants to talk, but I can't... Not now..."

"Understood. I'm sorry for bringing it up," he said.

He pointed me in the right direction and our journey continued in silence. It was getting nerve-wracking, especially since I couldn't see him.

"My father claimed you were a cruel man," I said. "I can see it was a lie."