24. Sleepover

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I think none of us Spirit Walkers were surprised that the werewolves wanted to stay the night with us. Natalie and Mike didn't mind, since they had been prepared for it. I was so happy that they let my friends stay. I knew it was the first night for us all, and that my brand-new foster parents were exhausted after moving all our stuff in during the past few days and probably could've used the peace and quiet, but the idea of sleeping alone in a new place was a bit scary for me.

Now it wasn't. It was still only seven in the evening when we made the beds ready for us all, and one by one, went to take a shower in my new bathroom. I went first since they all insisted on it, so I washed myself quickly and then changed into my pajamas before stepping back out.

It was fun to watch them all get excited over taking an actual shower with hot water. They all took their time in there, and when they did eventually step back out, they had big, refreshed smiles on their faces.

"I will never leave this place," Tilly said when she joined us with my bathrobe around her. "Running water is a blessing. I'm so sick and tired of boiling enough water for a bath for half of the evening!"

"I'm sure you can visit us as often as you want," I said with a chuckle.

She went to sit down on the bed next to Arch, who was leaning against the backrest buried in covers. Jaden and I had gathered enough pillows against the wall to lean against. We were going to have a movie night! We even had snacks! I'd never had one before. I'd never had my own TV – it was now hanging on the wall above my desk – nor friends.

I couldn't believe that a few months back, I was alone and homeless.

I snuggled closer to Jaden when the movie started. He pulled the covers tighter around us and lay back against the pillows. The movie started soon, but I couldn't really focus on it. I really tried to, but I kept looking around my room. My room. My beautiful desk, my massive bed, the closet, the bathroom...

My room.

I had my own room...

The door was partly open, and I could hear Natalie and Mike chatting in the living room. They, too, were watching TV, but they weren't focusing on it, either. I could hear happy laughter and excited giggles...

My foster parents.

I was getting so emotional that I curled up next to Jaden, resting my head on his shoulder. He could sense it all, and wrapped me into a tight hug. I felt his lips brushing my temple. His spirits were trying to soothe mine. I summoned his Echo just to get something to distract me so I wouldn't start crying like a baby. The Echo started jumping around like it always did, making me smile.

I stopped even trying to pay attention to the movie. It had been an emotionally exhausting day, after all. A very good day, but exhausting. Jaden and his Echo comforted me in silence, giving me all the time I needed to rest and simply enjoy this new environment. It was really nice. Now if only we weren't in grave danger...