Home.

Areum stuffed the last bit food into her backpack. She breathed softly, crouching behind the racks of food and candy. A sweat formed on her brow because of the nervous pit in her stomach, Areum was not only terrified of running into Mr Sukhyun but also of the journey ahead of her. 

She peered over the racks to make sure the convenience store was still empty then turned to aggressively zip shut her bag. "I'm so done with this." She spat. "I'm going home. I can't be here anymore." Areum swung her backpack on and stared apprehensively at the glittering knife in front of her.

She ran her slender fingers down the blade before wrapping them around the base.

Eomma, please get me home safe. And if I don't make it, let me say goodbye to them in my dreams. No matter how. Let me see them one last time. 

Areum shot up and tiptoed out of the store, her eyes trained on the stairwell across the main hallway of the apartment building.  

"Areum," The girl quickly hid the knife behind her back,  "there is an emergency meeting in the daycare." Mrs Kim appeared out of nowhere and wrapped her aged hands around Areum's wrist. 

"Huh?" Areum tried to protest but Mrs Kim pulled her away from the stairs. Areum reacted quickly by sliding the knife over the dirty tiles to the bottom step of the stairwell, there was a thud as the knife collided with the stair but it didn't arouse any suspicion from the older woman. 

Mrs Kim dragged Areum into the daycare where almost everyone was bundled together, the eyes in the crowd couldn't help but glance at the young girl.

"What are you doing?" Mr Sukhyun snarled to his wife. "She's too young to vote!" He promptly protested. 

"Vote?" Areum cocked her head in curiosity as Mrs Kim pulled Areum to the floor where she gave in and got herself in a comfortable position. Her eyes scanned a few unfamiliar faces among the people around her. A man she knew was a pastor in the building and a woman she knew had just moved in a few days ago, but there was also another man with them that Areum actively avoided eye contact with because of the intense stares he was giving her. 

Areum shifted nervously as Eunhyuk walked into the daycare with a box of paper and pencils in his hands. He placed them on the table in front of the daycare and held up a blank piece of paper. 

"Each of you will take a piece of paper. If you think we should oust Hyunsu, draw a circle. If not, draw an X." He explained diligently while spotting Areum's backpack straps as Areums stared at his bloody shirt, a gruesome reminder of why she needed to leave. 

"Why bother, he will obviously get kicked out." Mr Sukhyun laughed. "Just do a show of hands." He suggested, quickly raising his hand. 

"Who wants him out?" Mr Sukhyun looked around enthusiastically but his face quickly dropped when no one raised their hands. "Why aren't you raising your hand?" He spat to Mrs Kim who coward next to Areum. 

Areum quickly put the pieces together. Hyunsu was her neighbour who had also recently moved in, he must have been infected but still human at the moment. 

"I don't want him out." The one and only Eunyoo walked into the daycare with a confidence only she carried and Areum felt the blood drop from her face, all the more reason to leave the first floor. 

"Another one that's too young to vote!" Mr Sukhyun growled. Eunyoo quickly shot back, "Are we electing a president?" 

"How dare you talk back to me?" Mr Sukhyun stared at Eunyoo with wild eyes. "When adults say something you should just shut up and agree." He lectured fiercely, spit flying to the floor.