Meeting you.

Areum was lost in a world far removed from anything else and it felt exhilarating for a young girl to look down the tunnel of colourful sheets as the fabric tickled her skin because the cool breeze caused the sheets to sway. 

"Boo!" The young girl finally reached the end of her own dimension and jumped out to surprise her mother, who smiled gracefully down at her, the sun creating a halo around Youra's head. 

"You're supposed to be helping me." Youra chucked as she pegged a pair of socks to the thin line. 

Areum dashed to the laundry basket, pulling out one of Yoori's shirts and handing it to her mother. They developed a rhythm, but it didn't last long as Areum's attention was drawn to the dark blue moving van stuttering to a stop in front of the apartment building. 

"Eomma, look," She whispered, forgetfully handing a sock to Youra as she walked to the edge of the roof, resting her palms on the warm concrete of my ledge. 

"New people moving in?" Youra asked from the washing line and Areum nodded her head quickly as she watched a car pull up behind the van, a family messily flooded out of it. 

Areum spotted a mother, father and 2 children, a young girl and boy that looked roughly about the same age as her. She was intrigued and leaned forward to get a better look, but quickly quivered when she saw the boy's head cock back, his eyes meeting hers. 

Areum squirmed and fell to hide behind the ledge pulling her knees to her chest as her terrified little eyes met her mother's questioning ones. 

"What happened?" Youra asked as she hung the last piece of washing. "I think they saw me," Areum answered and crawled to cling to her mother's legs.

"Ahhh," Youra sang in understanding and laughed as she rubbed the top of Areum's head, totally understanding how shy Areum sometimes got around new people. "Let's go, it's getting hot." Youra stuck out her hand for Areum who quickly grabbed it and led her into the stairwell leading from the rooftop. 

As the pair neared their floor, things sounded louder than usual, much louder. The halls were usually deadly quiet but now dragging, banging and footsteps could be heard, the distracting noises causing Youra to walk straight into an unknown woman as the pair emerged from the stairwell. 

"Oh." Youra gasped, quickly bouncing back. "I'm so sorry." She bowed deeply, the woman quickly returning the gesture. "No, no. That was completely my fault." The woman smiled at Youra. 

"Are you moving in?" Youra questioned, pointing to the horde of moving men as Areum hid behind her, clinging in terror to her mother's leg. 

"Yes, that's us." The woman smiled. "This is my husband, Eunsang. My daughter, Eunyoo and my son, Eunhyuk. I'm Bareum. It's a pleasure." Bareum motioned to each of the people standing behind her before reaching out and shaking Youra's hand, Eunsang following suit. 

"The pleasure is all mine." Youra bowed before prying Areum off her leg. "I'm Youra, and this is my youngest Areum." Areum bowed slightly but avoided eye contact avidly, especially with Bareum's children who were peering out from behind their mother. 

As soon as Youra's hand softened around Areum's shoulder the young girl shot back to hold her mother's leg. 

Youra let out a breathy laugh before turning back to Bareum. "You should come over for dinner tonight." Youra smiled as she ran her fingers through Areum's hair.  Bareum's face lit up like a candle, "Of course!" She sang. 

"Great! We are 1107." Youra replied before taking Areum's hand and making her way down the hall. "See you tonight!" Eunsang smiled, his booming voice echoed down the hallway, as he ushered his family to their new home.