Chapter 15

“So I’m royalty, my family is imprisoned, I have a power-hungry uncle and the lady I thought was my mother was my grandma's caretaker. But she also promised my grandfather to keep me safe until I rise and take the throne.”

“Wow.” she said, taking a sip of her coke.

“You don’t believe me?”

“No, no I do… It’s just a lot to take in.”

“This just explains everything.”

“I’ve been getting visions but now… I don’t think they're just visions.”

“So you have been getting flashbacks?” 

“Yeah and everything you have told me lines up with them.”

“Mira now that you know this you have to keep it a secret. Trust no one.” He spoke seriously. 

She just took another sip and nodded her head.

Once they finished talking they went their separate ways. He went home and she went to pick up Maddi. Maddi passed and everyone in the family celebrated with ice cream. 

After she locked her bedroom door and ran to narnia.It was like a dam busted. She smashed the perfect family photo with even her supposed father in it. It was all just a lie. She collapsed on the floor, covered her mouth and cried monstrous tears.She wasted years on a woman who pretended to be her mother. Even worse, she even payed this fake womans’ bills! She took the smashed frame and threw it across the room. Stupid crazy uncle! Stupid alcohl addict woman! Stupid fate! Why couldn’t she just live a normal life?

The next morning she woke up puffy and red eyed which she also covered with concealer. In fact she was going to put her whole face on today. She needed to look extra pretty to slay the day. In addition she decided to wear a pink mini party dress and a short white fuzzy cardigan with black thigh high boots and lots of gold jewelry. Her mother hated it when she saw what she wore but didn’t say a single word about it.

Maddi however was a different story.

“Good morn- Woaah!”

“What’s the occasion?I know it's valentine's day but this is a lot for even you. ”

“Nothing, I just felt extra today.” She said opening the fridge and getting a protein shake then grabbing a granola bar from the pantry.

“I’m leaving now so if you want a ride I’d hurry or ride with mom.”

“Maddi, you don’t have to ride with her, you can ride with me.”

“No, no I’ll go with. I’m done anyway.” she said, placing her plate in the dishwasher.

“Great! I’ll be waiting in the car then.”

They reached the familiar school doors and braced for the day. 

“Oooh the killers all dressed up today.”

Mira just rolled her eyes.

“Ha! she probably needs to seduce her next victim.”

 Mira stopped in her tracks “Grow up.” 

“Looks like somebody's grown a little back bone.”  adara taunts.

“Get out of my way.”

“And if I don't?” she said tapping her chin.

“Whatcha gonna do about it.”

Mira pushed her hand away and kept waking.She really wasn’t in the mood for her childish antics. The entire school day felt exhausting, everywhere she went got compliments from the male population. Someone even left their number on her desk! All the girls gave her evil looks and Evan tried to approach her but she avoided him and she stayed in the library mostly. During lunch reading politics for dummies she sighed she felt so tired and lonely. She missed him, she missed her best friend but everytime he approached all she could do was run and hide.Like a coward.She wanted to run and tell him everything but no she was learning politics as he was God knows where.

At the last hour of the day she received a text from Maddi’s mom to grab some groceries on the  way home.She obeyed but thought of how much she changed. Her mind was so wrapped up in her current situation she realized she hasn’t gone swimming in a while and completely forgot about her other hobbies as well.   

“We’re Home!”

She dropped the groceries on the counter and looked for Maddi's mother but there she was in the living room.

“Mira I need money.”

“What?” “Why”

“I spent it all and I’m in big trouble.” rubbing her forehead.

“You got yourself into gambling too!?

“Is this why you said nothing about my outfit today?”

“No.” she responded quickly.

“Mira please, it's the least you can do.”

“The least I can do?” Mira echoed.

“I gave you food and shelter.”

“What about your job? Can’t you ask for an early pay?” 

“I got laid off last week.”

“How long were you going to wait to tell me?” she asked angrily.

“Mira.”  Maddi's mother pleaded.

“I’ve got plans too you know! I want to go to college.”

“You're helping and that's it!” Shaking her finger in front of mira’s face.

“No.” Mira said firmly.

“Did you really think you could just take my money again!”

“Did you really think you could just bury this!” 

“You've been drinking your money away and I warned you!” 

“My goodness! I am not someone you can just use and toss!”

“I know, I know the truth.I know about my birthright. ”

“What!?” She paled and opened her mouth to something else but then maddi showed up.

“What’s happening?”

“Tell her, Tell her everything Mother.” 

“Should I even call you that?”Mira said spitefully.

“What is she even talking about?” Maddi asked.

“You put yourself in this mess now, get yourself out.”

“Where are you going?” Maddi asked.

“Anywhere but here.” Slamming the door.

“Mira! Mira come back here!” Maddi Mother screamed but Mira was already in her car ready to go. She drove to the park but the weather wasn’t looking too good. It was getting colder and raining harder. She then wandered, she wanted to find a place far away from her adopter. If she went to the dinner Macy would send her back and she didn’t want to go home. Somehow she found herself on Evan’s doorstep. 

_______________

Sorry I'm late! I just wanted this chapter to be longer that's why I'm updating today. I've already started working on chapter 16 so be ready.

Author Q&A: what do you think of Mira's slow reaction to everything big in her life?