Chapter 5

I blinked a few times "Your Kidding right?"

"No, I'm being serious Mira, I'm not going to college." Maddi crossed her arms.

I leaned back on the uncomfortable Mcdonald's booth and crossed my arms too. "What about our plans?" I lowered my voice.

"Mira, I can't just leave mom alone with our little sister and baby brother."

"H...how can you even help her? You don't even have a job or a car, heck all you ever do is sit down. You need to go to college, you need a degree if you get that then you can help mom. You can help support her financially."

"I'll get a job, I'll buy myself a car but I will not go to a silly college."

I clench my fist and bite my lips. I need to leave this place. I'm about to explode!

I pack my stuff and left her there. Mom can give her a ride if she wants. I inhaled deeply, sometimes I wished she didn't make everything so difficult.

She's just so... so frustrating, with her I can never tell what are lies and what's the truth.

I toss my stuff on the passenger side and start my car. I wandered for a while until I found myself in the park our dad used to take Madi and me when we were kids. I wiped my tears and ran to a trail. The faster I ran, the more scattered my thoughts were but, I slowed down when I heard voices.

"What did you just say?" A familiar voice spoke.

"You heard me."

I hid around the bushes. I saw Evan and this gruff-looking guy arguing over something. I wanted to know why.

"You and I both know it's true you coward!" the gruff guy spoke as he shoved Evan.

Evan's eyes narrowed, "Say that again I dare you!!"

"YOU ARE A - " He didn't get to finish his sentence before Evan punched him. Gruff guy retaliated and tackled him to the ground, they wrestled and blood was all over. This... This was the guy everyone spread rumors about, this was bad boy Evan Jones.

The gruff guy was beaten to a pulp but he left some bruises and open wounds on Evan.

"Crack" Gruff guy stops mid punch and I look down in horror.

With the distraction, Evan slams the gruff guy back to the ground and threw one final punch. The gruff guy just laid there still and cold. I panicked Evan was walking in my direction.

"Mira?" I held up my finger, "listen Maddi I've got to go talk to you later.

"Woah, what happened to you? Are you okay?" His wounds were bloodier close-up.

He shook his head,

"I... I'm fine."

"You sure? I've got a first aid kit in my car and it's not far."

"Really I'm fine," his footsteps stagger back.

"Nope, you're coming with me."

"Ow!" a tree branch hit his face,

"Sorry!"

Suddenly we came to a stop,"Why are you helping me?"

"Why wouldn't I help you? We're friends and friends take care of each other."

"I thought you hated me." He looked at me.

Did I really hate him?

"Hates a strong word, I more like disliked the way we met."

"Oh." He kept quiet after that.

After I cleaned most of his wounds, I offered him a ride home.