Chapter 22

Mira rolled out of bed. Her arm stretched to her lamp desk reaching her phone.
Good morning, beautiful!
A smile formed with lips then she scrolled down her notifications.
Hey Mira, can you bring my math textbook? She rolled her eyes at Evan’s text but continued to smile. She slipped out of bed and began her morning routine before making her way downstairs.

“Good morning!” 
“Woah someones super chirpy this morning.”
“Yeah well he texted me this morning.”
“I can’t believe it's the first date and you’re already official.” Maddi shook her head, “are you sure you're okay with this?”
She raised an eyebrow, “what do you mean?”
Munching on her breakfast Maddi replied, “It just seems kind of rushed, like you're using him to get over Evan.”
“That’s not true, I’m not like that, I genuinely like him.” Mira argued. She wasn’t like that, she would never do that to someone like him.

“Ookay. Just be careful.”
Mira chugged the last bit of her juice and started washing her dishes. After she went to brush her teeth, she grabbed Evan’s textbook,“Well I’m ready, are you?”
“Yeah, just let me get my bag.”
“I'll see you at lunch.”
“Mmkay.”
She felt warm hands over eyes.
“Guess who?”
“I don’t know, could it be my boyfriend?” She let out a giggle. He let down his hands and twirled around to give her a kiss on the cheek.
“What are you doing at Evan’s locker?”

“He left his textbook at my house last night.”
“Oh.”
“Now c’mon walk me to class?”
“Gladly.” He replied.
She felt giddy during class all she could think about was her boyfriend. Who would have thought in her senior year this would happen. Walking out of class heading towards the lunchroom she felt a tap on her shoulder.
“Thanks for the textbook, you saved me from failing a nasty test.”
She gave a smile.
“No problem.”

They continue to talk while getting their lunch after waiting in line.
“Mason.”
“Evan.” Mason spoke as both boys sat down. Their coldness confused Mira, were they not friends a few days ago?
“I hope you took good care of Mira last night, she and Maddi are like sisters to me.”
That struck Mira. So he really didn’t think of her that way.
"Hey guys!" Maddi sat her tray down,“Can you believe it? In just a few weeks we'll be out of here."  She continued,"So what's your plan mason?"
"What do you mean?"
"Mira will be in college and you'll be what? A Senior?"
"Mira, is that true?" he turned to her.
"Yeah it is." her heart dropped, how could she forget? She gave him a light punch on his shoulder, "don't worry, we've got an entire summer before I leave."

A week after,
“Where do you go tuesdays?”
“I’m working.”
“No you're not, I went to the Dinner last Tuesday and you were not there.”
“Coincidently neither was Evan.”
“I wasn’t near Evan.”
“Then where were you?”
“What are you, some kind of stalker? Why do you have to know where I’m going?”
“Answer the question Mira.”
“I was at work.”
“Ar..are you serious?”

“Don’t lie to me.”
“I’m not.”
“Don’t go!”
“I..I I’m sorry.” I wish I could tell you.
“Whatever.”
“What’s wrong Mira?”
“We got in our first couple argument.”
“About?”
You.
“I wasn’t working on Tuesday -at least here I wasn’t. But that’s besides the point, now he wants to know where I’m working at and I just can’t tell him.”
“Why not?”
“Because I’m working on a project for my future.
“And he can’t exactly know that, can he?” She sniffed and looked away to gather herself. Evan understanding the situation and pulls her into a hug.“I’m sorry.”
“I just… I just wish I could include him in this.” She felt her heart do a familiar thump thump.
“I know.”
“Now, let’s get back to work.”
The next day Mira opened her locker to see a bouquet of roses and a red envelope.
‘Sorry’ - M
He wasn’t in class. she didn’t see him all day.
It was sun down when she heard a knocking at her window then a text followed Can we talk?
“I’m sorry, I’m sorry!”
“I shouldn’t have felt so jealous from now I’ll trust your word.”

“Please forgive me.”
“You're already forgiven.”
“Good.”
He sighed,“I missed these lips.”
“You haven’t seen me for only 2 days.”
“2 days too much.”
She laughed.They talked and talked and even cuddled night to early dawn. However despite the close proximity Mira’s mind was somewhere else. Was Maddi right? Was she using this sweet boy for her own personal gain? Were they going too fast? 
No. This isn’t true. She wanted to be with him because he wanted her company too and he wasn’t going circles. He was an honest and genuine great guy. He was someone she could see in her future - however long that was.
“Morning Evan!”
“Hey!”
“How's Maddi’s mom?”
“She’s okay.”
“She says she made a friend there.”
“Are you working today?”
“Yeah I am, you?”
“Yeah after school.”
“Can you give me a ride? My car’s getting worked on at scooter’s mechanics.”
“How did you get to school then?”
“Maddi drove her mothers car.”
“Alright then sure I’ll give you a ride but I left my uniform at home so I’ll have to stop there first.”
“Fine by me.”
“I’m going to class early, see ya.”
“Okay you’ve had a long face all day, what’s wrong?
“I’m meeting all the candidates for my ladies in waiting tomorrow.”  She felt a lump in her throat then brushed her hand over her head, “I’m just nervous about it. I mean what if they don’t like me or I can’t pick them?” “Listen to me, you’ve got nothing to worry about, they are going to love you.”
“As for picking, I know you’ll choose wisely. After all, you chose me to be your best friend and that was the best choice you ever made for yourself. ”
She gave an unladylike snort, “ yeah okay whatever.”
“Thanks I needed that.”
“No problem.”
“Thanks for the ride.”

“Goodluck for tomorrow.”
…..
“Princess you're here, the girls have arrived early.”
“Stop.”
“Your highness?”
“I want to meet them individually before watching them speak with each other as a group.”
“Very well then I’ll arrange the meetings in the Coperador Room and in the Waiting room.”
“Do you have any request as to who you want to meet first?”
“No, send them randomly.”
Elina Marchel: her file read she comes from a wealthy high status noble family. Loved horseback riding and is often entering competitions to show off her prized champion of a horse named Riley. It's a given I would choose her due to her wealthy background but I wanted something more. I wanted to know of her personality, would she be compatible with mine? Better yet could I trust her? After talking to her I spoke to Rae Sanchen, Cloudee Claudia, and Ana Germont all separately. Though after Aleson Traviz, Sara Geasra, Natalie Roe, Taelor Emdor struck out noticeably to Mira. “I know I should be formal with you but if I’m going to be your lady in waiting, my friends call me Tater Tot Tae.”  The last five Grace Heartland, Elizbeth Aella, Megan Molly, Edith Molly, and Simoan Vesta were older than Mira. They each gave a significant air of maturity which Mira has high hopes for.
"Your highness."
"Is she the last of them?”
“Yes she is, are you sure about this?”
“If I want what’s best for my kingdom I need to see their true colors.”
“Let’s go Nido.”