chapter 11

The room was dim with hushed voices. A flame coming out of a man’s hand. His face was unrecognisable as were the woman with the hand expressions standing next to him. She gave off a recognizable warmth. Mira heard a baby crying, she saw a woman rushing to the baby located in the crib next to her. To calm down the child the faceless man coos the child. While she used her left arm to hold the baby and used her left hand to control water out of it. 

She woke up with Evan’s head laying next to her left arm.

“Thank you for staying, I’m sorry you have to be here again.”

“It’s not your fault it happened besides for you I’d be here anytime anyday.”

He gives a small smile and winks, “I’ve got you bestie.”

“You know, it's crazy how we’re best friends now when a few months ago we couldn’t even hold a proper conversation.”

I look at him.

He snickered, “Yeah.”        

Then paused, “How are you feeling?”

She scrunched her face.

“Lucky.”

“Oh! your wake.”

“Your one lucky girl Miss Mira, compared to the other crash victims today you practically came unscathed.” The doctor said.

“What happened to the other victims?”

“Two lost their lives and two others are in critical condition.”

I frown, nobody should lose their lives this way; it should be peaceful and with their loved ones in their old age. I was lucky enough to experience something like this when my grandma passed away. It was a little bit after my parents divorced and the rest of the family considered my grandmother's dying request to have the family together at least one last time before cutting us off.

The doctor cleared her throat, “Well Mira how are you feeling?

“On the scale of 1 to 10 how is your pain?”

“At most four.”

The doctor looked up from his clipboard, “ With your kind of injuries the pain should be atleast a six.”

I just give a shrug.  “I have a high pain tolerance I guess.”

“Well in that case you’ll just need to spend one night here just in case the pain rises.”

“I’ll go talk to your mother about this.” She closed the door and left.

Evan wanted to stay a little longer but Mira insisted it would be better if he went home. He still has work tomorrow, so he reluctantly left as her mother entered the room. She didn’t tell her of her new found information; she first needs to talk to the man she once called my father.  For now she placed a smile on her face while being next to her “mother.” Turns out she missed a good three days of her break and maddie was taking care of their little siblings at home.

Her “mother” left to bring the rest of her siblings dinner and promised to check Mira out early in the morning. So there she lay thinking of her dream. It felt so real. It was almost like it wasn’t a dream but a memory. It was impossible though people don’t have special abilities with water and fire, so it must be a dream.

Within the next few days Mira was bed ridden in her own home - much to her dismay. Everyone and I mean everyone, her “mother,” and even the diner boss insisted Mira must be resting again in bed as soon as she got home. She felt suffocated. Maddi on the other hand grabbed some popcorn and laughed at her sisters’ misfortune. 

"So where's Evan? I thought the lover boy would be by your side right now?”

“Lover boy?

He’s just a friend and he’s at work by the way.”

“That’s not what it looked like when you were in the hospital. He was all over you."

"He was?"Mira didn’t know how to feel about that.

"Oh yeah." She said placing popcorn in her mouth.

Later in the day he called her, they talked and talked for hours.

“Ugh, how am I supposed to cook dinner?”  Mira spoke.

“Don’t worry about it. I’m sure you’ll figure it out, maybe maddi could cook.”

“That worries me.  You're still coming over right?

He gave a light laugh,“I will, I promise.” 

The next day Mira woke up to the smell of hot chocolate.

“Good morning Mira.”

“ack!”

“Evan, what are you doing here this early?”

“I said I would come over didn't I? Besides, It’s 9:00 a.m.”

“What?"

 "Aw man!” covering her face with her pillow.

“Your family and I thought it was better if we let you sleep in.”

“Of course you would.” she grumbled.

“Here, here's some oatmeal your mom made you.”

“Hurry up and get dressed, we have a big day ahead of us.”

“Wait what?” But before mira got an answer he left the door.

She just shrugged her shoulders and changed.

They wouldn’t let mira help, instead she kept herself entertained in her room playing on her ukulele.

Eventually Evan and Maddi came to accompany her, occasionally taking turns to check on the turkey. 

Maddi sat in the spinny desk chair and Evan laid on the curvey chaise.

“A penny for your thoughts?”

"What's that smell?"

 "What smell?

"THE TURKEY"

They ran down

"How could you forget?”

“Me? It was your turn dufus.”

“Look, it's still edible.” He poked the thing.

“No it’s not.”

Evan inhaled.

“This was supposed to be perfect for Mira, what are we going to do!”

“Call for take out?”

“At this hour? Every restaurant is closed.”

“Guys.” Mira called out.

“Not now”

“Guys.”

“Not now Mira!”

“GUYS!” she screamed.

“WHAT!”

“Arguing is not going to fix anything.”

“So what do we do now?”

She gestured to the door then proceeded to count down till five.

“Order for Mira Ocean.”

“That's me.”

“Here bring the dolly in that corner plz.”

"I knew with Maddie in the kitchen our chances of a good meal were slim.So I called in as soon as you left." 

"Although last night I was worried if it was going to snow because if it did you and the food weren't coming."

"Anyway, Merry Christmas guys."