Epilogue - One Year Later

Robin paused in the doorway to Red's office, leaning casually against the frame and observing the three people within.

In the year since Renée had gone on the run it had been expanded, the wall between her study and Red's old bedroom knocked in, making room for two more desks and chairs.

Returning to the house that he'd once called home still felt strange to Robin. He was learning to view it as his brother's workplace - where he spent his days while Robin was in his corporate office or on campus. 

Where he worked before they each returned to their shared home, exhausted and yearning for one another.

Robin's eyes caught on the older boy and his breath hitched.

The redhead was standing there, backlit with warm sunlight streaming in through the windows, leafing through a stack of papers, gesturing at something, voice animated, eyes ablaze.

He's so beautiful.

Red was engaged in spirited conversation with another omega. She was caramel-skinned, shorter than him, and barely older than the two of them but with a daughter in first grade. 

Tess.

An older woman was working at the third desk. Robin didn't know her very well - she had come through the shelter after he left - but now Red was training her as his second in command, and she was running the shelter with him. 

And Patricia.

Once he started law school come Autumn, the two of them would take over day-to-day operations and continue training more staff. Red would still be here part time. 

He cut a fine figure - narrow hips, long legs, slight definition in his shoulders showing though the thin breathable fabric of the exercise clothes he wore. Robin wasn't sure if he was considered handsome by omega standards or not - there was nothing soft about his sharp features, the pointed nose, blazing eyes, and short spiky hair.

But he shone. 

Always, ever since Robin could remember, there had been a sort of light about Red. Golden, warm, the kind that lit up a room and made other people blur and fade into dull, grey silhouettes around him. 

His expression was earnest and excited, determined and passionate, voice eager,  stance relaxed yet energetic. His ginger hair was easy to spot in any room and he looked so vibrant, so full of life.

Then, Red's eyes snapped up to meet his and a broad, unrestrained smile broke out on his face. Kind with just an edge of daring. The alpha felt his heart stutter in his chest.

That glow he emanated... it seemed to spring from within, a Red-ness, impossible to define no matter how hard Robin tried. Regardless of how many mental lists of traits and possible explanations he compiled.

Still leaning against the doorway, he raised one arm slowly, a paper box tied with string dangling from his fingers.

"I brought donuts," the alpha said, dropping the box on a nearby desk and stepping out of the doorway.

He noticed Tess tensing up and kept his distance, flipping the box open and selecting a plump, custard-filled one for himself, before stepping back and taking a bite as the young woman's shoulders lowered and she gave him a small smile.

Robin made sure to clear the way to the exit, angling his body half away and giving the others plenty of space. He greeted Patricia with a nod and two seconds of eyes contact, one, two, one away - horizontally, neither up nor down - then back, one, two.