Chapter 12 - In the Study

Alone, locked in a dark room with an alpha and no suppressants, Red soon found his own personal hell.

"Please don't, don't pull, Robin - you'll injure yourself. Hold still for me?"

And by some miracle, he did, stilling the manic pulling and shaking, eyes still blinking, unseeing - but he stopped working his wrists in the manacles, obeying Red's entreaty.

It hurt so much.

The pain tore through him, cramping, muscles clenching and spasming, searing with pain, with heat, with a need so strong Red couldn't see, couldn't breathe.

He but his lip until the coppery taste of blood spread through his mouth but that sting didn't even register next to the agony gripping the rest of his body.

Clenching his jaws to keep silent despite wanting to wail and scream, Red forced himself to stay still, arms wrapped tight around his torso. He drew his knees up, nails digging into the slippery fabric of his running pants, hot wet cheek pressed against the cool concrete underneath him.

If he screamed, Robin would hear him. If he trashed, Robin would see.

He would be scared for me. He must be scared right now...

Opening his blurry eyes, tearing up from the pain, he looked up and saw his brother, chained up, arms out to his sides, spine arched forward in a taut, stiff bow, leaning towards Red.

He was not frantically reaching for the omega, nostrils flaring and eyes blank, the way Red would have expected an alpha to do.

No - he was watching Red's face.

He was frozen, mouth set in a worried frown, searching the older boy's eyes, while sweat dampened the tresses plastered to his forehead.

And the agony in Robin's eyes made Red's eyes swim, sending a fresh, dull, throbbing ache through him - pushing away the searing, sharp pain in his stomach and limbs.

His instincts must be shouting at him to snarl and fight and try to reach the omega, try to take him and soothe the burning, the need, the flames licking them both.

But Robin, only fourteen, was holding still in his shackles because Red had asked him too.

And Red - the older one, the one that was supposed to look after him, already fifteen - was losing it.

"Aaahhh..."

He slapped a hand over his mouth and the moan ended in a pitiful whine as he rolled onto his back.

Red remembered only glimpses of it, later - the room, bare and dark, Robin's fearful eyes, whites showing all the way around the irises, watching him as convulsion after convulsion took over him until he tore at his clothes and skin, writhed and clutched at nothing -

Silently screaming for help until he finally blacked out.

Red still didn't know what his kind, cautious little brother had thought back then, chained up and forced to watched his brother go though torture, knowing his own alpha pheromones were making it worse and helpless to prevent it.

When morning came and Renée returned to let them out of the basement, Red bolted.

She unshackled Robin and opened the cage, and he wobbled, almost unable to stand.

Red's throat was raw and smarting from holding back screams, jaw aching where he had kept it wrenched shut, every muscle sore. He was cold and shivering, soaked through with sweat.