Chapter 20 - Coming Home

"I have everything I want right here," Red said, arm's wrapped around the younger man's waist. 

"In my arms."

Robin let out a shuddering breath. "Cheesy."

"Except maybe birthday cake."

"Got that covered," his brother whispered against his lips, then stepped back. "Look in the fridge."

The fridge was a huge stainless steel monstrosity and when Red opened it his mouth fell open.

"I wasn't sure what you liked anymore," Robin said from behind him. "I know you used to have a thing for carrot cake, which is pretty weird for a kid, by the way - "

"Gee, thanks."

" - But tastes change. So I compromised and bought one of each."

Half of the fridge was filled with cakes. Small, layered, frosted - and all of them with candles on top. 

Carrot and red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, chocolate mousse cake topped with raspberries, a bright yellow one with a pile of macarons on it , a vanilla cake topped with buttercream frosting drizzled and with caramel sauce... Whipped cream and strawberry cake...blueberries and dark chocolate mirror glaze... There were plates of pastries and confections too.

"Did you raid a bakery or something?" Red asked faintly.

"Might've asked Lainey to do it."

Under all the cakes there was a selection of dishes that didn't need preparing or heating up - marinated cold cuts, fruit, coleslaw, salads, smoked salmon, sushi...and that was just what he could see. 

"...Um, looks like we don't have to leave the apartment for a while. Not for food, anyway."

Red felt suddenly less nervous. They hadn't lived together for four years, barely spoken until three months ago... But there was a terrible hope blooming in his chest.

"We can go out if you want," his brother said. "I know this isn't much of a party... If you want to head out to a restaurant, or a nightclub, or - "

This is it. I can't be scared now.

Red turned around and stopped him with a hand on his wrist and a light, chaste kiss.

Even the brief contact sent butter flies though him after the sparse contact of the last couple of months. Robin's breath hitched.

"I want to stay right here with you. Just us, and no interruptions, no work, no farewells. Just you and me. Eating together, falling asleep together, waking up together. We have the weekend to ourselves, right?"

"Yeah..."

"So let's not step a foot outside that door. Let's stay in together."

"...Together." Robin smiled down at him. "Sounds perfect."

They ate, chatted about the meeting, and then walked around the vast, airy penthouse, seeing it together for the first time. Red felt his palms grow damp, and wiped them on his trousers.

Awkward - really, Red? After everything?

But he was. Here they were, finally. Against all the odds - independent and together.

And Red didn't know what to say.

They had conversed over the phone and sat side by side through countless interrogations and negotiations, but they hadn't been alone together since the night Richard died. And before that - before the insanity of their reunion - it had been years of nothing.