Chapter 17 - Dead of Night

After Robin disappeared, Red's heats became manageable. Compared to how hard he'd had to fight what he felt for his brother, the rest seemed almost easy to deal with.

He started using scent-masking sprays and patches, and supplemented those with heat-suppressing pills when necessary, despite his mother's disapproving frown.

That way, he could grit his teeth and work from home even during the worst days, enduring the pain and fever spikes in silence.

His brother's absence left a hole in Red's life that he tired to fill with work, never leaving an hour empty, staying busy from early morning to late at night. He was rarely alone and collapsed into bed each evening, too exhausted to dream.

Red felt the terrible loss, and continued to feel it - but he shoved his longing aside. He offered up smiles and laughter, grieving inside.

If Robin had chosen this...forged his own path...

Then Red had to forge his. And there was never a doubt as to what the omega wanted to do with his life.

He chose to follow in his mother's footsteps and work at the shelter.

A click of the automatic reload, a figure outlined in the darkness, the two guards slumped in pools of blood at her feet, throats slashed - 

"Get your hands off my babies."

All at once, their heads swivelled to the doorway, where a slight figure stood, dressed in black, eyes flashing and holding her Beretta raised and steady, levelled at Richard's head. She gripped a sharp knife in a fist underneath her handgun, propping it up.

Renée Rivelle had arrived.

Standing with her feet firmly planted, gun held out straight, steady arms, sinewy muscles tensed - 

She looked ready to kill.

His father's head turned, madness glinting in his eyes, stretching his smile wider.

"My beautiful wife. How good of you to join us."

Red was reeling - the floor under him was shifting, swaying - and a bloody hand gripped his hair, hauling him back up. 

"Mom!"

His voice was cut off, straining as his head was yanked back tighter, and Renée's eyes snapped over to her son, the black muzzle shifting to point at Kieran instead, half-concealed now behind Red. 

"It's too late," Kieran gasped, with one hand pressed to the side of his own neck, blood spurting from between his fingers. With the other he was holding on to Red.

His voice was raspy, breaths shallow and panting, hands slick with blood - the omega didn't have to be a doctor to realise that it was serious. Red's mother must have taken a quick shot to stop him, but missed a killing hit because he was hidden behind her son, nicking his neck instead. 

Severing some of the superficial blood vessels there. 

"He's bonded to me. I bit him, hah, ahh...he's mine."

Renée was staring, hard as flint, into his gloating face. Then her eyes flicked down to her son's, and Red knew. 

"That bite - if it was a bite and not simply a graze - is fresh enough to be undone," she said.

The alpha's smile vanished. "What?"

"If you die."

And with that, Red ducked sharply, slamming an elbow back as she fired again, gun jerking in her steady grip and loud despite the silencer -