Chapter 14 - I Left Because

"Now, it's my turn to take care of you."

"Yes," Red cried, or tried to, with want and need and pain and lust colouring his voice. He mewed, tugging at the layers between them, wanting them gone.

"Help me, Robin, please..."

"I'll help, I pr - ugh..." He shuddered, biting down on his bottom lip.

Red whined, straining to kiss him again, sharp, burning pain tearing through him. Whimpering, he felt Robin's cool, bitten lips press against his own feverish ones, just once. 

"I'll make it better, I promise," his brother whispered. "You won't have to go through this again."

The soft press of lips against his sweaty forehead caught him completely off guard, sending a spike of pleasure and - tenderness - that soured into panic as the weight on him suddenly disappeared.

And then his weight was gone and he was stumbling away, Red crying out in shock and anguish at the loss of his alpha. 

"You will f-feel better soon," a wrecked, heartbroken voice told him, too much agony in it to be reassuring, as Red heard steps stagger out, leaving him unbound. Leaving the door to his cell open.

But Red couldn't move, pain tearing through him now, cramps intensifying as the steps faded, skin searing, his entire being yearning for his alpha. His mate.

My Robin...

"No..." he croaked. "No, please. Stay."

There was a pause, and he hoped whatever conviction drove Robin would break and fall away, hoped he could come back, cover Red's body with his warm one, his lips with soft ones, kiss him and take him and bite him and make them one.

Inseparable, as they were always meant to be.

Robin's back was a blurry form in the dark basement, shaking...or was that just Red's vision, cloudy with tears?  

"You should never be in a cage," Red heard his brother whisper, as if from very far away, over his own panicked shallow gasps.

He tried to crawl, drag himself across the floor towards the door, towards the younger man's scent.

Don't go...

Then he heard those same steps ascend the stairs, dragging, wobbling, and he became even more desperate.

Reaching blindly, eyesight blurred with tears of pain and frustration, he heard the faintest whisper of -

"...ve you, Red..."

- so quiet it slithered across his skin, into his heart, and he sobbed with want and longing.

"...goodbye."

As the last trace of Robin's scent left the basement, another wave of agony blurred his vision and stole his strength, and Red's last restraint broke.

His nails scraped and tore, bloody on the concrete - and he screamed, hoarse, howling, wailing, tears and snot smearing his face, insensible to the physical pain in the face of the way he felt inside -

It felt as if his soul was being ripped in two.

"No..." he pleaded. "Come back...don't leave me..."

Through blurry, tear-filled eyes he could see the torn, broken cage door, left wide open. But he was too weak and dizzy to crawl through it.