02⇢besties

JAMIE

I feel my hair whip behind me as I make my way across the sky. I leap towards the closest rooftop and sigh in relief when I feel my feet back on hard ground. I absolutely love the feeling of the wind through my hair and the sky beneath my feet.

Before you ask — no, I can't fly. I've gotten so advanced with my vibrations, I'm not even sure it's a mistake anymore. I can slow down the vibrations of the air molecules, creating a clear surface, making it possible for me to skywalk. That's what I've called it.

I look over the building, waving at a few people who've spotted me, and I'm just about to call it a day when I hear a shrill scream. My head whips around, and I detect the noise from a few alleyways over. I get a quick running start before launching myself from one building to the next.

Another scream rings out right as I'm dropping into the backstreet. When I land in the dark alley, I see two men, all in black, and a woman who is pinned against the wall.

The man who has the woman against the wall also has the muzzle of his gun against her temple, and I notice the tear stains on her cheeks. The other man stands a few feet away, hastily sifting through her purse.

"Hey!" I grab the attention of both the muggers, and I immediately throw out my arms, driving two lines of vibrations to each man.

Purse guy drops the purse, and Gun dude drops his gun and his hold on the victim. The woman falls to the floor, clutching her knees and scooting away, and it becomes two against one.

I clench my jaw, creating a stronger pulse towards both men. My power generates towards Gun dude as I watch his eyes roll to the back of his head, and he drops to the floor, unconscious.

I momentarily forget about Purse guy, and I hear the woman gasp before I'm tackled to the ground, making me grunt in pain as my face makes contact with the concrete.

The woman lets out another cry as I am rolled over and a firm grip is placed around my throat, making my eyes go wide. I grab onto Purse guy's wrist and send pulses of vibrations up his arm, and he releases his choke hold on me, shaking violently.

We both get to our feet, and I instantly reach into the small sheath on my thigh, pulling out my dagger and swinging at his face. He retaliates and avoids my blade before I turn his feet into stone with my pulsations.

Before he can make another move, I reach forwards, jabbing the butt of my dagger to his temple and knocking him out cold.

♔♚

When I get home, Uncle Max is passed out on the couch next to a bottle of whiskey. I'm not surprised.

Along with degrading me and grieving over his brother's death, he drove himself into an alcohol addiction. I've basically had to raise myself through my teenage years. He hasn't found himself a wife, so I had no motherly help either.

I head upstairs to the room where I've lived for the past six years. I lock the door behind me and scan the room. There are half-filled moving boxes everywhere, and they only excite me. I can't wait to get out of these old, baby pink walls and live on my own.

I trudge over to my small bed and instantly flop. I've been in need of a bigger, more mature bed, but I never had enough money.

I had a job, working as a table busser at a small Italian joint. Until they fired me.

I groan as I feel my neck, a bruise starting to form where the man choked me. The skin is tender, and I start to wonder why I even try.

Sure, I save lives and some wallets, but I still get scared. I might look like a mighty hero, but on the inside, I'm terrified. I'm afraid of being violated or hurt.