07⇢aches

SAM

As I knock the robber unconscious, my thoughts immediately switch to Jamie. No, I can't be thinking about her right now, my subconscious reminds me as the last thug sends a fist to my face. I fall to the ground and groan.

I literally can't do this right now; Jamie won't stop occupying my head.

Pulling out my staff and enlarging it, I swing it directly towards his abdomen, knocking him backwards. I quickly stand to my feet, pocketing my staff and sending my fist flying towards his cheek, sending him into unconsciousness.

I sigh, looking over at the bags of cash. I pick them up and walk out of the bank, instantly coming to face multiple police officers.

"Here's the cash. Thugs are inside." These are my last words as I drop the money in front of them, running away from the scene.

Suddenly, a gut feeling hits me, and I run faster as my head aches, telling me to get back to the apartment as fast as possible.

♔♚

I make my way inside the front door of our apartment, careful not to make any noise. Once I realize Jamie's not around, I book it over to my room.

I gently shut the door behind me, stripping myself of my suit and changing into some pajamas. I plop down on my bed, but as soon as I close my eyes, my body decides it doesn't want to sleep anymore.

I groan, sitting up and grabbing a book off my bedside table as my thoughts start to wander towards the sleeping girl in the room across from mine.

Jamie is so interesting, and I really have no idea what draws me to her. Maybe it's the fact that she's so mysterious. I know she's hiding something from me, and she doesn't want me to know about it.

Ever since I met her, I've been curious about the bruises and cuts that show up on her skin. Every day, there's a new one. It breaks my heart that she doesn't trust me enough to tell me, but we've only known each other for just over two weeks.

I haven't told her about Phantasm, but it's not like she's hiding an alter-ego, too.

It's not that I don't trust her with Phantasm, it's just that I can't let her know. I trust her, sure, but I can't let her in on this life. It's far too dangerous.

If she found out about Phantasm, it could ruin everything. She could hate me, never want to talk to me again, or leave the apartment (which would leave me with debt, loans, and a sad heart).

I can't let that happen. I care too much about her for her to just up and leave unprotected.

My thoughts begin to shift as I wonder why the gut feeling brought me home. Nothing's happening.

The universe proves me wrong, however, when there's a soft knock at my door. Looks like I did get home in time.

Before I can even think about pretending to read my book, the door opens, and Jamie's head peeks through the crack. When she sees I'm awake, she fully opens the door. She just stands there, staring at me, and we're both engulfed into an awkward silence.

"You okay," is all I can think to ask. She quickly shakes her head, wrapping her arms around herself.

"I had a nightmare again," she responds in a quiet voice, and I'm almost straining to hear what she said. Man, this girl doesn't get a break, does she?

Making up my mind, I scoot over, patting the spot next to me. Jamie timidly walks into the room, closing the door behind her and sitting on my bed.