08⇢suspicions

JAMIE

I tiredly sit through my anatomy class as Isabel's voice rings through my ears. I can barely keep my eyes open. I didn't get any sleep last night, seeing as someone decided to rob a bank at four in the morning — again.

Isabel and I are partnered up and are currently working on labeling the muscular system. Her voice is loud in my head, and I have to close my eyes.

I kinda wish Mia was here. She texted me that she was home sick.

I sigh before slowly turning to meet Isabel's harsh stare. "Were you listening?"

"No, sorry."

"What's going on?"

"It's nothing. I'm fine," I reassure her, but she seems a bit relentless.

"You can tell me," she says, and I find myself smiling at her concern and kindness.

But then I realize, I don't know what to tell her, so I say the first thing that comes to mind. "I, um... I think I like my friend."

"Really? Who is it?"

"Sam," I reply in a small voice. Her eyes immediately widen, and a wide grin makes its way onto her face.

"Larson?" I nod in approval before hearing her squeal in excitement. "Why do you like him?"

I find myself smiling at the thought of him. "He's just... really kind to me. He always cleans me up after I come home from boxing, and... he's just really sweet, y'know? Really good guy."

When he let me sleep next to him Saturday night after my bad dream, my liking towards him grew tenfold. We were both kinda shy and nervous, but he let me stay with him. He knew I needed someone, and he was there for me.

I slightly smile at the thought of his arms wrapped around me, and I suddenly want to feel them again.

"That's so cute!" Isabel squeals once more, and I roll my eyes, turning back to my worksheet. She slowly stops laughing as I see her eyes float to my face. "Jamie?"

I turn to look at her as she points to my cheek. "What?"

"Your face. How'd you scratch it up like that?"

"Oh," I start, looking for an excuse, "I fell while I was walking home on Sunday. Busted my ass."

"Really?" I squint at her suspicion. "I know that's not what happened."

I immediately look at the floor, trying to come up with a lie. "I just fell, okay? That's it."

"Are you sure?"

Could she stop interrogating me? It's starting to make me nervous, and I definitely do not want an anxiety attack happening in the middle of class.

I can lie to one more person. "I ran into Voltar on my way home from boxing Sunday morning."

Isabel's eyes immediately widen, and I knit my eyebrows together. What is up with her today? "You... you did?"

"Yeah. Sucked," I reply, and she lets out a sigh, her features visibly relaxing, causing my eyebrows to furrow in confusion. "Anyway..."

She lets out a nervous laugh, pulling her worksheet towards herself. "Yeah, yeah. Anatomy."

I give a small smile, but it doesn't reach my eyes. I grab my worksheet and begin to fill out parts of the muscular system.

I know I'm kinda shy, but I'm not dumb. I know something's up with Isabel, and I'm curious to find out what it is.