B.C. prologue

5 months earlier; Oxford, England

"Incoming passenger from December 31st, 2019; Wuhan, China."

Indistinct laughter instantly echoes throughout the large room at the announcement. "Remember that pandemic?"

"Oi! We don't talk about that one! It was well over 100 years ago!"

I roll my eyes, crossing my arms and leaning back on the desk as the room of excited scientists and engineers wait in front of the landing zone. I wasn't in the mood for such laughter.

Suddenly, the landing zone lights up, and the room goes quiet. I stand up straight, looking at the bright circle on the floor.

From bottom to top, a man—dressed in... very old and very wretched clothing—fades into reality. Once his figure becomes whole, the landing pad dims, and everyone in the room gets a good look at the founder, Drew Francis.

Also, known as my boyfriend.

"Why're you dressed like a beggar, mate?" Laugher rings out once more at the sight of his clothing, and I wince, looking at the floor.

"I had to make a pitstop in the Renaissance! I didn't have enough power — had to let it recharge," Drew argues, clicking a button on the small device he handles, and with a bright glow, his outfit instantly changes to a button-up and some slacks.

The chatter and laughter die down, and everyone slowly leaves the room. I stay, finally looking up at Drew, who smiles and extends his arms for a hug.

The frown remains on my face as I walk into his arms before they enclose around me, creating a small, warm circle for just the two of us. I sigh and close my eyes, standing in his embrace.

"Tough day?"

"You don't know the half of it," I respond. "I knew this day would come—it comes every year—but I always forget how difficult it is."

His arms hold me tighter. "I know, baby. I'm sorry."

I squeeze my eyes shut as they begin to fill with tears, and I manage to whisper out, "It gets harder every year."

"I have an idea," he suddenly says, pulling back from me and twirling my brown hair between his fingers. "I know how you can remember this day as a happy one."

I squint at him, a small smile working its way onto my lips. "And how's that?"

"Marry me." Wait, wait... what? "I want you to marry me."

My jaw drops, and I step away, out of his grasp. He reaches into his back pocket, pulling out a small ring, and my heart stops in my chest.

Without a second thought, my hand flies up, making contact with his cheek, and my ears ring at the crisp sound. His head snaps to the side, and his eyes widen in surprise.

"Are you mad?" My words are sharp and demanding, but I don't seem to care. "Replacing Morgan's birthday with an engagement? Are you serious?"

"I know it sounds crazy," he starts, stepping closer to me, "but this doesn't have to be a sad day!"

I take a step away. "It's not a sad day! I just miss her! How could you ever think I would want this?"

"Because you love me!"

I quickly backfire, "And if you truly loved me, you would know how important Morgan's day is to me."

"I do love you! Don't you?"

"Well, maybe I don't! Maybe I just said I did, so I wouldn't hurt your little ego," I shoot at him, glaring daggers into his head as the truth comes out. His eyes widen, but I feel no remorse. "Maybe I did once, but I definitely don't now."

"Alexandra, you're making a mistake," he says, calling me by my full name, and my glare becomes sharper. "Alex... please."

I watch as his eyebrows knit together, begging for my mercy, but I shake my head. "She was my sister, and a sisterly love cannot be replaced."

I don't say another word as I turn my back, slamming the door behind me once I've exited the room. I sigh, letting all the anger steam out of my ears.

He doesn't understand unconditional love, and I fear he never will. Especially in this day and age. No one seems to understand that anymore.

Not in 2136. That kind of love is rare, and sadly, I haven't gotten to experience it in years.