09⇢threats

SAM

Friday morning, I find myself sitting in my psychology class without any of my friends (not that I have many). I'm just filling out a vocabulary worksheet when my thoughts drift to Wednesday night.

"You're gonna be okay, alright?" The young girl looks up at me, nodding her head, and I have to keep myself from wrapping her up in my arms, continuously telling her everything was okay.

Instead of doing that, I leave her with her parents at the police station. Letting out a sigh, I lean against the building, closing my eyes and sinking to the floor.

Sometimes, I wish I could take a break, but I know there are people who need help and lives that need saving.

When I finally lift myself off the ground, my eyes immediately drift to the violet light coming from the top of a near building. My senses highten, and I hastily make my way to the building, ready for whatever is to come.

As I throw myself onto the roof after climbing the fire escape, my eyes instantly fix on Voltar in all her glory.

Black suit, glowing mask, longsword across her back, voice changer, purple orbs around her hands... it's really her.

"What do you want?" My voice is loud and commanding, juxtaposed to the meek tone I usually support. Voltar only laughs, her voice changer making her voicehowever she normally sounds—much deeper.

"Don't you know, Phantasm," she spits, and my lips curl into a snarl as my name leaves her lips. "I'm going to tell you exactly what I told your friend, Quiver."

"She's not my friend; I don't even work with her," I tell her, but she doesn't listen.

"Oh, but you know her... don't you?" My eyebrows knit in confusion at her words. I don't know Quiver, nor do I know who's beneath the mask.

At the sound of my silence, Voltar grunts, riling back her arms before blasting her purple electricity right at my stomach, sending me flying backwards and onto the ground, and I groan at the pain.

I've never been electrocuted, but I'm assuming this is what it feels like.

I groan once more, feeling blood trickle down my cheek, and I struggle to return to my feet. I face her head-on and ready myself for another blow. I widen my shoulders and clench my jaw, showing her I'm not afraid.

I move towards Voltar, and I take a swing. Her hood stays on as she ducks, but she quickly jumps up and lands one right to the mouth. I stumble back, lifting my fingers to my lips, and I know she drew blood.

When I look up at her, she's reeling back for another blow.

Before she can blast me with her purple light, I extend my arms, imagining an ablaze forest fire, and I watch her stumble back. I keep the vision in her head for as long as I can, and my head starts to throb.

Voltar seems to snap out of it, looking directly at me and firing electricity towards my abdomen once more. My eyes widen as the forest fire comes into view, and I back up, shaking violently against the ground.

Did her electricity just reverse my powers on me?

I shake myself from the illusion, knowing it's not real, and I look up from my spot on the floor. "What the hell do you really want?"

"You'll find out, Phantasm... and when you do, you'll wish you never did," she snaps, and my eyes widen. Before I can question her, she jumps off the building, fading away into the night.