21⇢clues

SAM

"So you're Phantasm?"

Jamie and I sit in our living room, in the same position as a week before when the same thing happened to her. She's been pestering me since last night when she found out, but I've been resisting.

"Sam."

I slowly meet her eyes and mutter, "Yes, I'm Phantasm."

"Backstory?"

I look up and smile at the cute look of curiosity on her face, and I nod my head. "Um... I told you I was an orphan, right?"

She nods, scooting closer to me, and I continue, "Well, there was a, uh, a certain guardian that lived with us at Gideon's Home for Boys. Her name was Helen, though her real name was Serena Pickerin, and... she was a witch."

I watch as Jamie's eyes widen, but she gestures for me to go on. "Long story short, she told me I was special, and I believed her. She brought me down to the basement one night and showed me what she had been working on."

"Please, don't tell me it was a cake that turned you into a bear," Jamie slightly whispers, and I chuckle, shaking my head.

"It was a potion, and she forced me to drink it. Locked me in her special room until I did," I tell her, watching how her eyes gloss over with sympathy. "After I did, the nightmares started. She told me I would have visions of whatever I thought of. Whatever came to mind, I saw it in front of me — clear as day."

"I bet that was really scary for you," she mutters, taking my hand in hers, and I solemnly nod my head.

"Yeah, it was," I whisper, "I went to her for help. She instantly enrolled me in karate and taught me how to control it... I spent my entire childhood in that orphanage with those powers, and nobody knew.

"I graduated high school a few weeks before she died, and I moved to Brooklyn to start fresh. And well, here I am," I finish, looking over at Jamie, who gives me a small smile in reassurance.

"Wait. Oh, my god," she interrupts, closing her eyes in frustration, and my eyebrows knit in confusion.

"What? What's wrong?"

"That's why Voltar tried to kill your parents and threaten Noah because you're Phantasm. I knew that wasn't just a coincidence," she mutters to herself, and my eyes widen.

She's right. Voltar hasn't just been out for Jamie. My parents and Noah could've died because Voltar already knows my identity, too.

"So... what exactly are your powers?" Jamie's voice breaks me from my thoughts, and I turn to look at her.

I lightly chuckle at her question. "Do you want me to show you?"

She slightly pales. "Is it dangerous?"

"I can make it dangerous," I offer, and she instantly shakes her head, making me laugh. "It's okay. I'll do something easy."

"What do you mean by easy?"

My face softens, and I take her hand in mine. "Where's one place you feel at home? What makes you feel safe? First place off the top of your head."

"With you," she responds without hesitation, causing me to falter.

I smile, gently removing my hands from hers and cupping her face. I slowly lean in, Jamie doing the same, and soon enough, I feel her lips on mine.

First, I imagine a grassland, green and growing, in my head. I picture blue skies without a single cloud. I imagine absolutely no wind, as if time stands still. I picture no animals, no chirping or sounds of any kind. I imagine peace.