06⇢dreams

SAM

"Samuel! Get down here, and finish your homework!"

I lay in my rusty bed, hands over my ears as I try to block out the screaming that rings in my head. Terrifying images flash in my eyes, and I let out a small cry, sinking back under the covers.

The door swings open, but I don't move to see who's entered. I feel a soft hand on my shoulder before my body is forced up, and arms cascade around my small, shaking figure. I let out a sob before falling apart.

My hands stay over my ears, and my eyes remain shut as I feel a hand smooth over my hair and hear a voice coo to me. "Shh, you're alright, Sam. Everything's okay."

I recognize the voice as Serena's. I want to push myself further into her embrace, but I also want to run away from it. After all, she did this to me.

"I'm so sorry, Sam."

The sobs continue to wrack my body, and I stay in her arms, crying out to her. She's told me that once I learn to control my powers, the images will stop, but they haven't. I just want the pain to go away.

Serena pulls away as she inspects the tear stains on my flushed cheeks, wiping all evidence of pain away with the pads of her thumbs. When I open my eyes, I see her face, full of concern.

"You're going to be okay, Sam. I promise."

I let out a startled gasp, waking up from my dream. The image still rings in my head. I place my hands over my eyes and clamp them shut. I feel hard ground under me, and I realize I'm not in my bed.

I silently curse the world for making me feel so vulnerable and weak. Tears threaten to escape my eyes as I let out a shaky breath.

This happens once every month, and I absolutely hate it.

Ever since attaining my powers, I wake up with nightmares once every month. Only, the nightmares turn into sleepwalking, and it scares the living shit out of me — not knowing where I am, in my pajamas, in the dark, and all alone.

Scooting closer towards the wall I feel against my back, something pokes me in the back, and I realize something fell out of my pocket. I slowly open my eyes and look towards the dirty ground I sit upon, and I see my phone.

I quickly grab the device and turn it on, wincing at the bright screen. Before looking at the time, I turn the Find My Phone on and switch to the contacts app. I look towards the top of the screen to check the time. 4:02.

My lip quivers as a tear makes its way down my cheek. The only thing I want to do is be with a certain someone and her comfort. Before doing anything else, I look for Jamie's contact and dial the number.

JAMIE

Sending one last pulse to the mugger's body, I fall to the ground, hitting my head and knocking him (and almost myself) into unconsciousness, and I groan at the pain I feel in the back of my head.

I slowly open my eyes as they adjust to the dark of the morning, sitting up and turning to the young boy that sits across from me.

Unfortunately, a 911 dispatch woke me up two hours early, but I got here in time (yes, I have an interface that listens in, so I can get there first). Fortunately, my morning was not filled with an encounter with Voltar. Just a couple muggers trying to kidnap a little boy; nothing much.

"You okay, kid?" I stand to my feet and make my way over to the boy, crouching down next to him. He slowly nods, and I hold out my fist. "Gimme some."