seventeen

╮champions of the world╰

"Coach," Adam said as he half-ran into the locker room without his sling on his arm. "I woke up... and the pain was gone." He held up his previously injured arm and rotated his hockey stick. The team cheered and clapped excitedly.

"Adam, I'm sorry, but we already have a full roster," Bombay said regretfully. Spencer looked around sadly and spotted Russ about to pull his jersey off. Charlie lifted his hand to stop him.

"Adam can have my spot," Spencer quickly stated in an attempt to keep Charlie on the roster.

"Absolutely not. Have you lost your mind?" Bombay asked as he looked at the quickly approaching girl, the team also voicing their disagreement.

"He can't have Spencer's spot. But he can have mine," Charlie said, walking over to join Spencer.

"You don't have to do that, Charlie," Spencer said sadly as she looked over at her brother.

"It's what I can do for the team. Let me do it," Charlie said as he looked between Bombay and Adam.

"Charlie, I need you on the bench, coaching right there with me," Bombay said, placing one hand on Charlie's shoulder and handing him the clipboard that was in the other. Charlie smiled as he, Adam, and Spencer walked to their lockers to finish suiting up.

"I would've given up my spot, Charlie. You didn't have to do that," Spencer said, wrapping her arm around his shoulders.

"I know. But this means too much to you for me to let you give up your spot. Besides, I make a better coach than I do a player," Charlie said, wrapping his arm around the middle of her back.

"Thanks, Char," Spencer said, quickly kissing his cheek before running to her locker to put her shoulder pads and jersey on.

"Heads high! Stand tall! Fly straight! USA!" Bombay chanted as his team huddled up in the box.

"All the way!" The team cheered as they finished out their cheer, the stands growing louder when they did.

Spencer stood at right-wing, ready for the face-off. Spencer raced after the puck, watching as teammate after teammate got thrown to the ground.