46

Virgil just sat there in bed watching as the prince slept beside him. He was in a daze. There were just so many emotions and thoughts running through his head, he didn't know what to feel at that moment. Relief? Anger? Guilt? Concern? He didn't know and that only tore at him more. 

"Roman?" Virgil whispered softly, knowing the prince was asleep and therefore could not answer. "Why are you here? Why did you come back?" Virgil tensed hearing as Roman groaned before shifting closer to the smaller. "Roman?" The prince just smiled as he nuzzled into Virgil's leg lightly, his eyes still closed despite proving he was up. "Roman, are you really..."

"Still think I'm a dream?" Roman whispered softly making Virgil's breath leave him at the sound. "I'm not." 

"Why did you come back?" Roman frowned as he gently pushed himself up to see Virgil's tear-filled eyes. "Why?"

"P-Patt-ton said you... you w-were sick and... And I just..." Roman shook his head as he pushed himself against the headboard, knees into his chest. "I didn't want you to fade on me."

"Well, I'm not fading... So why are you STILL here?"

"I don't want to lose you." Virgil jumped at the sudden look Roman gave before the prince just deflated and looked away. "D-Do you n-not want m-m-me here? I understand. I-I-I m-messed up b-badly. I... I-It was m-my f-fault. You hate me..."

"What?" Virgil blinked as the panic in the room began to grow. Roman grimaced as he hugged himself tighter. "Roman, I don't..."

"I'll just go. You don't want me here and that's fine. It's better this way anyway." 

"Wait no..." Virgil freaked as Roman started for the door. "Do not walk out that door." Roman only hesitated slightly, his hand on the handle. "Do not leave again. Talk to me."

"What's the point? You were right, Virgil... I-I f-fucked up-p."

"Roman, stop and sit your ass down." Roman frowned as he looked back to see how Virgil had pushed himself to the edge of the bed. "We need to talk about this. I'm not letting you leave again without doing so."

"Can... Can we... C-Can w-we go t-to my... my room?" Virgil frowned in confusion as Roman scratched the back of his neck with an awkward smile. "That's w-where the b-blank-ket f-fort is." Virgil's eyes softened as Roman rubbed his arm anxiously. 'If we're going to talk about that day...' Roman sighed as he glanced over at the door. 'I want to do it there. I feel... safe there.'

"That's what it's there for." Roman didn't move. He just stood there staring off at the door as Virgil carefully picked himself up. The prince didn't even move when Virgil stopped right there beside him, worry flicking in his eyes. "Roman?" Virgil went to touch him. That's what did it. The second Virgil's hand reached out for his shoulder, Roman's eyes flashed and he quickly stormed out of the room. "Roman!" Virgil raced after stumbling slightly as he tried to keep up. "Rom-..." Virgil hesitated as Roman opened his door revealing a very sickly green comforter laid haphazardly on the bed. "Where did you get that..."

"It's one o-of R-R-Remus-s's that he l-left here." Virgil's eyes lit up as Roman smiled at it, slowly walking further into the room just to make sure his brother wasn't there. "P-P-Patton must have g-g-given-n it t-to him when w-we g-got here. He's been staying i-in here."

"Where have you been?" Roman's eyes met with Virgil's only making the smaller breath crash as his eyes widened. "Wait..."

"I didn't want to leave you for a second... a-and r-risk you f-fading. I... I was scared-d. I-I'm s-sorr-ry if that-t u-upsets you." Virgil shook his head as he smiled and followed Roman into the room.