42

Roman didn't know what to do at first. When he had called out to Patton to wait his brain wasn't picking up on anything happening. He just wanted Virgil. Patton said Virgil was sick. That he was SO sick they were scared he would fade. Roman... He had to go back. The love of his life could fade and what was he doing... writhing in the self hated and a broken heart.

"You sure about this, Kiddo." They had made it to the mind palace before anyone even dared to look at Roman. Remus and Janus knew. They knew for a fact that Roman loved Virgil with all his heart. They were worried about their friend but they were worried about Roman too. Patton at this point was just... taking it as it went.

'I need to see him, Dad.' Patton nodded as he opened the door and let them all slip in. The second Roman passed the threshold his entire body went rigid. He whimpered as the pain in his chest amplified intensely.

"Roman?!" Remus went to help him only for the prince to shake his head. "Roman, what's wrong? Are you hurting again?"

'Not... Not me.' Remus frowned as tears spilled from Roman's eyes. 'It's Virgil's pain.' Roman growled as he walked off ignoring the group that just stood there stunned. He ignored his bedroom door opening and the gasps that sparked behind him. He even ignored the look Logan gave him as he slammed Virgil's door open.

"Roman?" Roman just stared at the man in the bed as Logan slowly got to his feet. "You're back."

'I had to.' Logan's eyes widened as Roman signed. He didn't know what had happened, after all, so he didn't know about Roman's stutter coming back so badly. 'How...' Roman took a deep breath to try and calm himself down as he moved closer to the bed. 'How is he?'

"Right now, he's just sleeping."

'Patton said he was at risk of fading.' Logan's eyes darkened as he watched Roman slowly get into the bed. Roman pulled Virgil into his lap as he smiled sadly, running his hands through the younger hair. God, did he miss this... just being there with Virgil. He hated that it had to be under such shitty circumstances.

"He hasn't woken up since 11:32 yesterday afternoon." Roman's eyes darkened as Logan spoke softly with a sad look in his eyes. "I tried to wake him up earlier to eat but... He couldn't. The most he could do was flutter his eyes before it pulled him under again."

'If he can't wake up he can't eat... if he doesn't eat or drink then...' Roman let out a quiet whine as Logan nodded. 'So it's not that he's going to fade because he's sick... we just don't know if he's going to wake up.'

"He's not going to fade. Not if we can get him up." Roman nodded as Logan glanced over to see Patton gesturing for him to follow him. "Ah." Logan smiled realizing that meant to give the two time on their own. Logan rolled his eyes before giving Roman a nod who smiled softly in response. "It's nice to see you again, Ro. I was only informed you had left a bit ago but... I missed you."

"M-M-Missed-d y-you t-too, T-Teach." Roman smiled a bit more as Logan just laughed and left giving Roman the time alone he really wanted. "Virgil." Roman broke down instantly, pulling Virgil in even more as he sobbed loudly not even caring if anyone actually heard him. There wasn't a point for his pride to kick him in the ass now. The love of his life wasn't waking up. "Virgil, please..."       

"I'm sorry." Roman whined as he shook like crazy. "I'm sorry. I didn't... D-Did-... n't... didn't m-mea- mean t-to... I-I'm sorry." Roman leaned in against him, eyes closed as he laid back against the headboard. It wasn't comfortable, but Roman didn't care. He was drained, exhausted, and emotionally overloaded. He needed rest but he was NOT leaving Virgil. Not again... "I'm sorry."

"Oh..." Patton smiled softly as he walked into the room nearly an hour later to find Roman fast asleep cradling Virgil close. "My sweet boy..." Patton whispered before shaking his head. He carefully made his way over, not wanting to make a sound and scare the prince. "Roman?" He spoke softly just wanting to coax the other awake a bit. "Ro..." Roman groaned as he grimaced over the position he was sleeping in. "Come on, Son."

"P-Pap-pá?" Roman slurred as his eyes fluttered. "W-W-Wha-at..."

"Shh... Don't worry. Just lay back, Ro." Roman hummed as Patton shifted the blankets helping the prince to lay down so that he wasn't just leaning against the headboard. "There you go, Kiddo." 

"Grac-cias P-Pap-pá." Roman hummed as he curled up, arms wrapping around Virgil, without even realizing. Patton just rolled his eyes softly as he grabbed a free pillow and gently lifted Roman's head so that he was resting on him. Roman smiled as he glanced over to see Patton leaving. "Ser-r-riousl-ly, P-Patton." Patton froze as Roman smiled at him before moving to cradle Virgil against his chest with a subtle blush. "Thank you."

"Rest up, Kiddo. Looks like you both need it." Roman chuckled as he nodded, letting his eyes slip shut again as he swiftly fell back to sleep. Patton just stood there for a second longer a sad smile on his face before he sighed and left. 

"Is everything ok?" Logan mumbled questioningly as Patton just nodded returning back to the living room with the rest of the group.

"Yea. Roman fell asleep so I was just making sure they were both comfortable." Logan nodded as Patton turned to the other two who have been surprisingly quiet the entire time here. And considering one of them was Remus... "You are both free to stay here as long as you'd like. Remus, if you'd prefer it I can set up another bed in Roman's room like before or..."

"Ro's not leaving Virgil." Remus cut in with a sad smile as Janus just nodded silently beside him. "There's no need to go out of your way. I'll just crash on his bed."

"I still have that guest room, no?" Janus quietly asked, eyeing the two young boys that would not stop staring at Remus the ENTIRE time they had been there.

"Of course you do." Patton laughed as he shook his head. "I just wanted to make sure you were all happy and relaxed. Boys?" The twins jumped as Patton sent a playful glare to them. "That means you two are to sleep in your own room tonight. Remus is going to take Roman's..."

"He's... He's really back?" Adam whispered softly making Patton's smile fall. "I mean... We saw him but... I just... I didn't think it was real, to be honest."

"H-He said he w-wasn't coming b-back." Alex stuttered making Remus's eyes narrow at the sound of it. 

"I don't know for how long but... for now yes. He's here for Virgil." Patton gently ruffled Alex's hair before jumping up with a stretch. "I'm going to start getting dinner ready is there anything in particular anyone wants. It's been a stressful day so I don't mind any requests."

"No, I think we're good, Patton." Janus smiled reassuringly noticing how the other was trying really hard to make everyone else happy. Patton always was that way after all. 

"You know I'll eat anything." Remus teased before glancing back at the twins with a look of intrigue. "Actually... I think I'mma hang with the dopples." Adam frowned as Alex jumped behind him anxiously. Remus just chuckled as he crossed his arms sassily. "I think I should officially meet my baby brothers huh?"

"Just don't wake Roman up." Remus nodded as he started for his and Roman's room gesturing for the two to follow. 

"Don't worry. We won't."