XVI

{Author's Note}

{I'm the worst! So so so sorry for the late update, my life was very busy this week, but alas, it's here! Enjoy!}

Ashley:

“Survivors!” Someone shouted from the gates, interrupting our meeting. Dan bit his lip uneasily. “Um, that’s usually not good news. Generally they don’t accept new people. They only let me in because I offered them the horse, something they didn’t have.” He explained, turning to the commotion.”Why would that be bad news?” I asked, tipping my head ever so slightly. “Well, sometimes things get a bit heated to say the least.” Dan replied. I became filled with curiosity of who had come, and wanted to see the new comers. “Let’s go check it out.” I suggested, standing up. “I’ll come,” Mitch volunteered, standing beside me. Jerome nodded in agreement, and even Dan watched the gate with curiosity despite his hesitation.  “It’s usually really sad though to see some stragglers turned away.” He sighed. “It’ll be fine, Dan.” I said, tossing a glance at him. Finally, he nodded and we began our short trip to the gates. I couldn’t understand why he was so hesitant, but I was too curious about the newcomers to give it much thought. As we got close enough, we could hear the voices of the survivors arguing with Linda. One voice sounded oddly familiar. We pushed our way through the crowd of locals to see who was here, as Linda turned them away for the final time. At last, I got a glimpse of them; a girl and a boy, roughly my age on a horse. The girl looked familiar, and I realized it was Sydney, a girl I used to recored with every so often. Dan obviously recognized them too, but had a much stronger response. He pushed his way violently past Linda and shoved the gates open, crying wildly for them to come back. They stopped and turned around, brightening immensely to see him. He hugged each of them tightly, sobbing with relief and joy. Jerome must have noticed my surprised expression and explained to me that apparently he had been traveling with them before they were separated by a forest fire. “I’m glad to see such a happy ending.” I smiled brightly at the reunion.  They eventually looked back to us, and we waved at them joyously. Moments later, they returned to the gate where they met Linda, who scowled at them with cool and distant disapproval. “Linda, these are the people I left Ohio with originally. You need to let them in, and since you have my horse already, if you have two, you might be able to breed them. Let them in.” Dan explained, almost desperately. For a moment, I thought I saw Linda smile a little bit, but she quickly suppressed it to maintain her  guard like posture. “Fine! Let them in then, but hurry! These gates can’t always be open.” Linda sighed, forcing a scowling look. The crowd of locals around me burst into a cheer as Dan and the other two entered into the gate. Jerome, Mitch and I went to greet them, where Dan introduced us, but our meeting was cut short when Linda pushed us away with the rest of the crowd who swarmed around them. “Shoo! All of you! You’ll have time to meet them later. We have business to take care of right now.” Linda crowed dismissing all of us except for Dan. “We’ll leave them be for now, I suppose.” I said as the crowd of locals dissolved away from Sydney and Mark.  A light breeze ruffled through Gardenwall, crisp and soft, as if it was a sign that everything was good at the time. I tipped my head back and admired the crystal blue sky, pure from any clouds. Life was good. No, life was better than it had ever been. I was happier than I could ever remember at that time. Jerome, Mitch and I returned to the park, where I continued my book and they wandered off to do whatever. The day ticked by blissfully, and the sun sank into the ground, turning the sky ebony with bright glimmering dots. I stayed at the park even still, stargazing. Finally, I got up, and strolled down the somewhat empty streets until I reached Mrs. Taylor’s residence. As I walked up the porch stairs, I heard hushed speaking from behind the house. Instantly, I became suspicious, and crept silently back around the house, to the house’s backyard, that had been transformed into a beautifully lush garden. Among the vines and fruit bearing trees two figures whispered in the shadows. That didn’t scare me though. What did scare me is that I recognized that it was Ryan and Jason. I pressed against the house walls tightly, listening in secrecy. “Really? When will they be here?” Ryan whispered with worrying excitement. “Tomorrow night at the earliest. Probably later though,” Jason whispered back. The moonlight flashed in his eyes. “And you’re sure they’ll spare us?” Ryan whispered back. “Of course they will! Why are you so damn nervous?” Jason spat in the disgust at him. “Sorry, sorry. It just sounds to good to be real, you know?” Ryan shook his head. “Yeah, whatever. Well we need to-” Jason paused and looked up menacingly. My heart froze, and I tried to press myself closer to the wall. “Someone is watching us.” Jason said very slowly, pausing momentarily with each word. I began to panic. I felt like he was staring right at me. “We’ll discuss this later.” He growled, moving very slowly toward me.I knew I couldn’t run or they’d see me, so I just remained very still, concealed by the heavy shadows. “Ryan, meet me here at three A.M, okay?” He whispered so quietly, I had to strain my ears to even hear it. Then, Jason walked past me with our noticing me, and went inside. Moments later, Ryan followed, and I was soon alone in the garden, safe for the moment.