XIV

Ashley:

We sat patiently on the couch until Mayor Mars returned with glasses of fresh water, with ice cubes. I found myself amused by how rare ice cubes were now, and graciously accepted the drink. “I’ll make this brief, because I’m sure you’re all exhausted. I’m Mayor Mars, or Mr. Mars, as Linda may have told you. This community is called Gardenwall, and it’s a former neighborhood that decided to prep for an apocalypse like this a couple years back. People thought we were weird and crazy, but when the day came, they regretted their mocking words. Anyway, that’s our history. What’s your story?” He asked, plopping down comfortably in a plush chair. “We were all at my friend Jerome’s house in New Jersey, when this happened.” I began, volunteering myself as spokesperson. “Jerome’s uncle lived next to Red Hawk and his stronghold, so we went there in hopes to find shelter. Fortunately, he accepted us in, and graciously offered s shelter for a while. After the Russian bombing, as you may have heard from them about, a lot of people staying there started to panic and it began to get out of control, so Red suggested we get out before anything got too out of control.” I explained, pausing. “The bombing of Florida? That’s the last time I heard form Red..” Mars said, clasping his hands together in grief. “Go on, though.” 

I took a deep breath, and continued. “Well, on our way out, Red gave my friend Mitch an atlas, and Gardenwall was circled. I think he wanted us to come here. Anyway, we tried to leave New Jersey, but there were border guards, and they told us to return to the government safe camp, which was already overthrown by infected at that point. When we drove past, they shot at us, and got my friend, Louise, in the shoulder, but she’s with Linda and Linda said she was going to take her to a doctor.”  I explained. Mars looked at me with sympathy. “You poor souls! How unimaginably painful that must of been. You’re safe now though. Gardenwall is safe.” He said gently. I breathed out in relief. “Thank you.” I murmured, dipping my head. “Now, to discuss more domestic ordeals.” Mars began again. “We’re a bit tight on space, so, you will all have to shaw a house with another resident. Will that be okay? There is still plenty of room.” He explained. “Of course!” We all agreed in unison. “Good. Mrs. Taylor and her sons have extra room, I’ll escort you there.” Mars replied easily, standing up to lead us to our new residence. 

He led us down the broad main road, past a small park, and up a small porch to one of the largest houses in the neighborhood. He knocked on the door twice and waited until a jaded looking woman opened the door. “Mr. Mars!” She exclaimed, widening her eyes. “Is everything okay? Did Jason do something again?” She asked in a panicked tone. Mars shook his head ‘no’, relaxed. “No Mrs. Taylor, not at all. We have some new residents. They came from another stronghold all the way from New Jersey. I need for them to stay with you. can you handle that?” He asked benevolently. “New people? From New Jersey? Of course! But I haven’t prepared!” She began, worried. “I know, Mrs. Taylor, I know. We’ll sort things out tomorrow, but it’s late and they’ve been traveling all day, and need a place to sleep right now.” Mars explained. “O-okay then. Come in, all of you.” She said, turning to us. We graciously entered, and Mr. Mars returned to his abode. “I’m terribly sorry about all of this! Two of you can sleep in the guest bedroom, but two of you are going to have to sleep in the living room,” Mrs. Taylor explained. 

Ryan and Jerome took the bedroom, while me and Mitch shared the living room. “Glad to finally have a restful night. How ‘bout you?” I asked Mitch as I fluffed my pillow. “Of course! I’m so glad and surprised we all made it here alive.” He sighed, lying down. Within moments, he was snoring soundly, but I lie awake, looking at the ceiling. I felt like something was watching me. I sat up, and saw a figure, hidden by the dark of night perched on the top of the stairwell, glaring down at me. I startled it, as it startled me, and we both flinched in surprise. “Who are you?” The figure, revealing a masculine tone demanded. “I-I’m Ashley. I’m a new resident.” I whispered, trying not to wake Mitch. “Who are you?” I inquired. “I’m Jason. Watch yourself, Ashley. I don’t like visitors.” The figure scowled at me, and scurried off. I remembered Mrs. Taylor asking about Jason to Mayor Mars, and I quickly became uncomfortable there.