XIII

{Author's Note}

{So, as some of you may have noticed we've hit over 1000 reads! That's absolutely mindblowing and so encouraging to me! I just wanted to say thank you again!}

Ashley: 

The next few days consisted of carefully transporting Louise from the car to a house or building every night. We pressed on to Gardenwall, but stress had reached an all time high. After our conversation, Mitch had turned cold and robotic again, and it had left me battered and scarred emotionally. Jerome had become excessively protective over Louise in her state, and Louise’s shoulder began to swell with infection, despite our efforts to keep it from doing so. As for Ryan, he continued to give off a suspiciously distant vibe. We followed the map for countlessly boring yet treacherous miles, until the glorious state sign of Missouri glimmered in the horizon. 

“We’re gonna make it!” I breathed, smiling to myself. As usual, I accompanied Mitch in the front seat while Louise, Jerome, and Ryan were in the back. It was evening, and I was watching for a place that we could spend the night at. “Good. How long until we get to Gardenwall?” Mitch demanded. I sighed and rolled my eyes. “I don’t know, Mitch. I’ve never been there.” I replied bitterly. “Estimate then.” He replied sourly. I didn’t respond to him, and just continued to search for a place to spend the night. Evening became night, and everyone had fallen asleep, except for me and Mitch, as usual, as it seemed. “Hey.” I looked at him, blinking. “Watch for a place.” He reminded me. I looked away, embarrassed. “I just… just wanted to say I’m sorry about what happened the other night. I.. I messed up.” I sighed, blinking away a tear. I glanced at him again, but he didn’t rebuke me like the last time. Instead, he opened his mouth to say something, but closed it again. After a couple moments of no response, I sighed, and presumed looking out for a safe place. Then, looming ahead of us in bright, artificial light, and broad barriers it appeared in the horizon. “Is that..?” I murmured, flipping open the atlas. We were supposed to be near Gradenwall by then, and I felt my heart skip a beat as we approached what seemed to be paradise. We drove up to the barrier where there was an iron gate. Right outside the gate, there was a sign that read ‘GARDENWALL.’ “We’re here!” Mitch smiled at me genuinely. “Everybody! Wake up, we’re here! Get up!” I shouted excitedly. I opened up the car door, and scrambled out. Immediately, a beam of light blinded me, and I covered my eyes from the brightness. “Stay back.” A voice instructed calmly. I blindly blundered backwards, trying to see beyond the beam of light. I focused my eyes, and saw a coarse looking woman with a flashlight in one hand and a pistol in the other staring down at me through the gate. “Who are you?” She asked. “A-Ashley. We came all the way here from New Jersey!” I replied nervously. “Jack er.. Red Hawk sent us.” I explained. The woman’s eyes widened, and she lowered the flashlight so that I was no longer blinded. “Red? From Jersey? But.. I haven’t heard from him in days…” She paused, and leaned against the fence in distress. “Ashley, it is? How many are with you?” She questioned. “Four others. We all came from Red’s.. stronghold. Did you know him?” I asked. The woman unlocked and opened the large metal gate. “Yes, I did. Pull your car in, and we’ll talk in a moment.” I obediently did as the woman asked, and leapt back into the car. “Pull in! She’s letting us in!” I chirped excitedly. Mitch pulled the car through the gate and onto a broad avenue that was fringed with neat houses and gardens.The woman I had talked to walked in front of us, and guided us to a place where we could park. Once parked, we all piled out, full of excitement. Even Louise managed to get out by herself. She was smiling widely with hope and excitement, even with al the pain she had been experiencing. The woman welcomed us. “Welcome to Gardenwall! We’re a self sufficient community that was once a neighborhood. Luckily, most residents are asleep, so hopefully we won’t get too much attention. I’m Linda, by the way.” She shook hands with each of us, then continued speaking. “Our ‘mayor’ lives over there.” She gestured to a side road that ended with a welcoming looking house. “You need to meet with him tonight. I apologize for the inconvenience, and I know it’s late at night, but it’s mandatory.” Linda said professionally. “Of course, ma’am. But, we’re not in the best of condition. My friend, Louise was shot, and her injury is infected. Is there a doctor here?” I asked, casting a worried look at Louise, who was gripping her shoulder in pain. “Oh! Goodness, I’m so blind.” Linda groaned, approaching Louise. “I’ll escort you to Doctor Ben immediately. Since Red sent you, I assume you are all responsible enough to go all the way down the street and knock on the door?” She asked. We nodded. “Excellent. If a man doesn’t answer, ask for Mr. Mars. Tell him that Red sent you, and I let you in, and had to take your friend to the doctor.” She explained briefly. Linda then turned, and helped Louise down the road to a condo looking complex. I ;ed the group to the doorstep of the mayor’s abode, and knocked. After a moment, a man in silk pajamas opened the door groggily, but his eyes widened when he saw us. “Good evening sir. I’m Ashley, and these are my friends. Red Hawk, or Jack as you may know him sent us here, all the way from New Jersey. And Linda let us in.” I explained briefly. The man rubbed his eyes, and smiled cordially. “Red sent you? Well, do come in, all of you! I’ll get you something to drink!” He welcomed. We entered the house, and sat of the plush couch, while he fetched us drinks. Mitch sat next to me, and touched my shoulder lightly. I looked at him with pleasant shock. “Hey Ash, I forgive you.”