7.

"Do you mind if I join you." The familiar voice reached Dev's ears, he knew she would come.

Maheen walked towards the edge and plopped beside him.

Maheen and Dev sat by their sacred place with their feet dipped in cold water of the lake.

"So you are a Princess." Dev said looking sideways at Maheen.

"Just like you are a Prince." Maheen replied looking ahead at the calm water body. "You could have told me, why did you have to lie ?" Maheen said accusingly, turning her head to meet Dev's eye.

"You could have said the truth as well Maheen. Don't accuse me for something you too have unapologetically done ." Dev replied scrunching his eyebrows, irritated at Maheen's superior behaviour.

The two looked at each other for a few seconds before looking away. Thick silenced blanketed them as the cool winds blew.

Dev tossed a small pebble in the lake, watching ripples form in the calm water.

"Everything kept aside, thank you for getting Danish Ibrahim off my back." Maheen said looking at Dev from the corner of her eyes.

"Well, thank me with some good food Princess, ye rookha sukha shukriya mujhe manzoor nahi." (I don't accept a dead and dry thank you)

"Theek hai." Maheen said getting up from the ground and dusting her skirt. "Kal apko Agra ke Pethe khilaungi." She said with a smirk. (Alright I'll get you our famous Agra delights tomorrow.)

"Do not forget." Dev said extending his hand towards Maheen who towered him at the moment.

"I won't." Maheen replied holding his hand and pulling him up. She looked at him and smirked before turning around and walking away.

•••

The sun was slowly setting behind the hills and the sky was painted in pink, purple and orange.

Dev walked back to the palace from the lake where he often met the Mughal Princess.

"Dev." A baritone voice called to him. Dev turned around to see a very familiar face. His brother's best friend.

"Prithvi bhaishaab." Dev smiled and walked towards Prithvi. Dev had known Prithvi since he was little, he was his older brother's best friend and much like a brother to himself.

"It's been so many days here but not once have you shown me your face." He said placing his hand of Dev's shoulder pulling him in for a hug.

"Sorry Bhaisa, I was exploring the city." Dev replied as they pulled out of their embrace.

"So how is the Mughal capital ?"

"Very..enchanting." He replied carefully.

"I wonder what part of the city has had its spell on you." Prithvi chuckled.

Dev and Prithvi strolled towards the courtyard where a number of people were engaged in their work.

"Have you met Bhaishaab?" Dev asked Prithvi referring to Aditya.

"Of course I have, unlike his brother, Aditya is here for strictly business." He replied making Dev laugh.
"Come with me, your brother must already be waiting since I'm clearly running late."

"Where to ?"

"To talk to the family of my to be bride." He said pulling Dev along with him. "It's more than business for me here too."

•••

Dev entered a room which looked like someone's personal study behind Prithvi. It appeared like they were the last to enter and he was pleasantly surprised to see his own brother present, talking to the new king of Mughal empire.