44.

Maheen draped herself in deep orange colour saree her mother had gifted her for Diwali two years ago. She wore her jewellery and bangles, slipping into her embroidered jutti's she checked herself in the mirror.

Maheen looked pretty, and her husband wouldn't be home in time to appreciate it.

Shaking her head, dusting away all upsetting thoughts Maheen walked out of the room. Greetings the guards she walked down towards the courtyard. The receding winter winds prickled on her skin, the smell of blooming marigolds and roses reached her.

As she stepped into the corridor all eyes were drawn to her.
'Was she late ?' She wondered.

She walked closer to see everyone present by the pile of logs.

"Holy heaven bhabhi !" Mohini squealing jumping towards Maheen.
"You look breath taking."

And although Maheen knew she looked good, a well delivered compliment had her blushing crimson.

"Thank you Mohini, you look very pretty yourself." Maheen said smiling.

"Maheen baji, this is yours." Jhumri who has accompanied her from Agra said handing her a plate full of condiments for the holika dahan pooja.

"Thank you." Maheen replied smiling at her.

She took the plate and walked towards where the old priest stood.

"Come beta, do the prayer and give the offerings before we light the fire." He said and Maheen nodded.

Maheen had seen her mami Hania do it back at Bundelkhand. They did not celebrate Holi so grandly back in Agra.

Maheen took the roli (yellow and red thread woven to make a thin rope) and tied it around the entire wooden structure. She then took some kumkum and rice and sprinkled it over the wood.

The group of priests had already begun the holy chants.

Maheen next took flower petals and sprinkled it over the wood.
Finally taking the parshad of batasha, khel, revdi and gur she placed it over the stacked wood.

"Who will light the fire ? Aditya isn't here and -."

"Dev will." Maheen replied. "If Aditya is not here the responsibilities fall on his shoulders."

The priest gave Maheen a nod and a small smile before handing the torch to Dev.

Dev looked at Maheen in awe. He hasn't expected Maheen to let him be a part of anything willingly.

And although he was the prince, Maheen was the queen and her word would always be heard over his.

Dev quietly took the torch and transferred the fire, lighting up the pile of woods.

Everyone cheered as the fire lit and crackled.

The fire from the bonfire was transferred into different portable torches which would be taken around the town to light the rest of the bonfires.

"You can now circle the holy fire and pray." The old priest said and Maheen nodded taking the lead.

Maheen closed her eyes and joined her hands. To the holy fire she prayed to burn all the sorrows in the hearts of everyone she cared about, she prayed that, the Maheen she had stepped into this kingdom as, the haughty, short tempered egoistic princess burnt to give birth to a tolerant, loving and just queen. She prayed for her family whom she had left behind in Agra and the family she had found here in Awadh, she prayed for Aditya and his long and healthy life and reign, for her best friend Gehna to find happiness just like she had and for her kingdom whose responsibility she now shouldered with Aditya whole heartedly.