6.

The cool winds of from the snow covered mountains had reached Agra.

Maheen unlike her mother loved winters, she enjoyed herself more with the bone chilling wind blowing and caressing her.

It was after dinner that Maheen found the same young man, Dev sitting in her spot by the lake again.

"You shouldn't come here everyday and ruin the sanctity of this spot." Maheen said standing behind him on the wooden pier.

Dev instantly recognised the voice and a smile crept on his face, realising the owner was the haughty maiden he had met the previous night.

He heard footsteps approaching and scooted over to make space for Maheen.

"And you shouldn't be roaming around alone this late at night." Dev said looking at her as she sat a few inches from him.

"Nobody tells me what to do, this is my home." Maheen snapped at him.

"I didn't mean to offend you my lady, this place is at a little distance from the palace building, I was just concerned about your safety." Dev said offering his most charming and drool worthy smile.

Maheen looked at the warm brown eyes and the dimpled cheek for a second longer, before looking away.

A cold gust of wind caressed the Prince and the Princess, sitting under the starless sky.

"So, are you talking to your parents again ?" Dev asked remembering the story Maheen had told him about her parents trying to fix a wedding alliance for her.

"Nope. Not gonna talk to them till that man leaves Agra."

"From what I know Danish Ibrahim is a king, you'll be insulting him if you refuse."

"I'm Princess Maheen too, what does he think of -."

"Princess ?"

"Princess ?" Maheen repeated realising her mistake. "Priceless Maheen." She said trying to mask her blunder.

Dev rolled his eyes and look away from her face. For a pretty delicate  face, she was too thick and stubborn for her own good.

"So bye bye Danish Ibrahim ?"

"Absolutely."

"Do you love someone Maheen ? Is that why you don't want to marry him, he is a king !"

"I don't love anybody and that's why I don't want to marry someone my parents what me to marry. I want to marry the man I love." She said dreamily. "I will not marry a man I haven't spoken to before or someone my parents think is befitting for the sake of alliance of kingdoms."

"Well, best of luck." Dev said and got up and dusted his pants to get rid of the dust. "Do you want me to walk you back ?" He offered although he knew his offer would be rejected.

"No, I know my way back. Thank you." She replied. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight." He said shaking his head amusingly and walked away.

•••

The lovely exotic birds perched on the nectarine tree chirped happily as Maheen water the bed of roses below them.

Maheen had taken upon Meera and was born with green fingers. Being among the lap of nature always helped her with her anxiety and helped her think clearer.

"You look so beautiful, you all have blossomed into such beautiful roses, I'm so happy." She said talking to her bed of roses. Some would call her crazy but she was sure that her daily heart to heart conversation with her green friends motivated them to stay healthy and grow faster.

"You are weird mahi." Gehna said as she applies 'alta' on her fingers and toes.

"Sure I am. Who wants to be plain Jane, zindagi me kuch rang ho tab zindagi zindagi kehlati hai." (Life is only beautiful when you have colours to paint it)

"Zindagi me koi haat thamne wala ho, pyar karne wala tab zindagi zindagi kehlati hai." Gehna replied (Life is beautiful when you have someone to live it with)

"Well that's true, look at Mrunal didi, she looks so smitten with Prithvi Ji. I bet life is music to her, I wish her all the happiness in life."

"Me too mahi, me too. I hope you-."

"Assalam Walekum." A voice interrupted the two best friends. Mahi turned around to face the owner of the voice with her water can still in her hand.

"Walekum salam." Maheen greeted back. "I'm afraid I didn't recognise you ?" She said. Only a few people were allowed into the Royal garden, specially when someone of the Royal family was present inside.

"That's because we haven't had the fortune of meeting. Shezadi Maheen, I'm Danish, the current ruler of Punjab." He said.

"Danish ?" Maheen asked astonished. What was this man still doing in her kingdom, why wasn't he out yet and how dare he come meet her like this.

"I sense that you aren't very pleased to meet me." He said. "and I understand why, I myself don't like the idea of forcing someone into marriage especially when we are strangers." His eyes reflected sincerity, but Maheen couldn't see anything past the blindfold of hate for this man.

"I can't marry you, I can not." She said. "You maybe what every girl dreams of, and I would have been happy to marry had I not been in love. I love someone Danish, and marrying someone who isn't him, I'd kill myself before I say I do."

"I.. I'm .. I."

"I'm sure you didn't know about this, how would you when I figured that I loved him just as I speak, I'm so sorry I -."

"It's fine Maheen, I'm glad that you realised." Danish said sincerely. "And I'm sure he is a lucky man for you have fought for your love." He said as he gave her a genuine smile.
"Do you mind if I ask who he is ?"

"Yes I do." Maheen muttered under her breath. Was her spontaneous lie going to cause her embarrassment.
"Help me god." She prayed.

"Uhh.. Danish he is, he is a great man, he .. Dev." Maheen's prayers had been answered too quickly, she had found the perfect person to help her out of trouble.

The mighty prince of Awadh had decided to tour the royal garden's at the same unfortunate time when the Mughal Princess was spinning lies to save herself.

Dev spun in the direction of the voice which called out his name.

"Maheen." He looked at her and smiled. The fascinating lady of Agra.
"I didn't know you would be -."

Dev was interrupted by an over enthusiastic Maheen pulling him next to her. At this moment did Dev notice Danish Ibrahim. He had met Danish just a few days ago when they had arrived in Agra, and from their first meet itself, Dev understood Danish to be a humble and benevolent person.

"King Danish." Dev greeted him with a Curt nod. Danish looked at the familiar face and smiled.

"Rajkumar Dev." (Prince) Danish greeted back. "So it's you who has captured the heart of the Mughal Princess. Well I should wish both of you all the luck for your future and specially to you Dev, with Abeer Ali as the new king, in power, you will need all the luck courting his baby sister.

Danish have a friendly pat on Dev's shoulder and left the stunned Prince and Princess alone.

"Yo..you you lied to me." Maheen screeched. "You are a Prince, that to Prince of Awadh."

"I didn't lie to you, I told you I was here with the king of Awadh how-."

"For all I know you could be the stable boy or .. or a bloody butler how -."

"Do I look like a stable boy to you Princess Maheen ." He said taunting her with her title.

"Go away." Maheen screamed .

"Gladly. I don't want to be in the company of liars." He said giving Maheen one last look before storming off.

AN: I know I was absent for long. I'm not in my zen zone and can't concentrate on my writing.
Updates are going to be slow but please bear with me
Kindly vote
The number of votes are no motivation either.
Stay safe and lots of love
xoxo