20.

Vote - 220

If Maheen was marrying the man she loved rather than his brother Maheen would have known no joy than today.

Everything was perfect, the dark moonless night did not miss the stars as a hundred lamps lighted the land of  Mughal palace.

The mandap were set under the old Rain Tree. The path to the tree paved with colourful flower petals.

Maheen held on to the fabric of her  lehenga tightly in her fist as she made her way towards the mandap. It was nothing like she had imagined, she wasn't in a bright red lehenga as she had planned for herself, her brother wasn't holding her hand as she walked down the aisle alone, her father wasn't going to hand her over to her groom, her groom, he wasn't the man she had imagined to spend her life with.

Maheen looked up from the ground. Her eyes held the unshed tears as she saw Aditya sitting by the sacred fire instead of Dev.

"Maheen, are you alright ?"

Maheen stoped right before the mandap and looked at Gehna, who herself was sporting a bruised forehead, watching the man she came to love marry her best friend and here she was asking Maheen who was somewhere responsible for all the wrongs, 'if she was doing fine.'

Maheen turned to her friend and nodded her head slowly. She lift her skirt and stepped on to the mandap, her life was going to change completely.

Maheen took her seat to Aditya's right by the sacred fire as the priest recited the mantras.

If Maheen could she would flee herself at this moment and hunt Dev down and drive her dagger in his heart for leaving her alone, so helpless.

The chants seemed to come from somewhere far away, the heat from the fire prickled her skin, she performed the rituals as she told by the priest, her body complying without her own will.

"It's time for the pheras." The priest said. (Sacred vows)

Maheen watched Mrunal and Prithvi get up in the mandap next to her's.
She felt a small tug, the end of her dupatta was tied to Aditya's shawl and Aditya's movement caused the pull.

"I'm sorry." He said looking at her. She knew his apology ran deeper.

"Get up Mahi." Gehna said giving her a hand to help her on her feet.

Maheen took Gehna's hand and got on her feet.

The priest began the prayer. He looked at Aditya and spoke.

"With the first circumambulation you promise to take care of her and pray to the almighty to give you enough food for your family."

Aditya who was in the front walked around the fire trailed by Maheen.

"With the second phera you pray for a health and prosperous life. For good physical and mental health."

"With the third you ask God for the strength for both of you so that you can share the happiness and pain together. Pray so that you can walk together to get wealth."

"With this fourth phera you pray for love and respect for each other and between your families."

The priest had asked Maheen to step forward now, lead Aditya and make promises of her own.

"With the fifth, pray for the welfare of all living entities in the entire universe and for begetting noble children."

"Sixth is for bountiful seasons all over the world. Pray for bountiful seasons and seek that you may go through these seasons together, just as you would share your joys and sorrows."