Prologue

First it was Sam Uley, Paul Lahote and Jared Cameron.

 I never really spoke with the three boys much, I knew Sam because he dated my younger sister, Leah and then pretty much stomped on her heart for our cousin Emily. I still have a raging hatred for him because of that. Paul was the hotheaded manwhore in La Push, everyone knew that. The only time I talked to him was when I would turn down his flirtatious advances, seeking to sleep with one of the few girls he had yet to do the deed with. Jared, well... he's just Jared. He's wasn't super popular or anything and I only saw him around occasionally on the beach or something, never really went past polite greetings. I never really gave their little 'gang', as everyone liked to call it, much thought. They said they protected La Push and they weren't doing any harm, so I didn't see a problem with letting them play protector.

However..

Then it was Embry Call, one of my bestfriends. We had known each other since we were literal infants with our other friends, Jacob and Quil. Embry was the one person outside of my family who believed I could make good money with my paintings. He helped get my etsy set up and I even gave him 50% on the first 20 orders I got. Embry was more then my bestfriend. He was like a brother to me. And then he disappeared from my life like it was nothing. No call, no text. He hangs out with Sam's gang now and would walk away or pretend not to notice me when out in public. It hurt so fucking much when he did that. I was so upset that I threw all my emotions into my art, car and even into my self image.

The same thing happened to all of them. They had a huge growth spurt, got sick, missed a lot of school and then I would see them with Uley. I didn't realize what was happening, but then I started thinking about any information I knew and what was going on with them. Then I remembered something. I remembered the legends of our tribe and the symptoms of someone about to go through the change. First the growth spurt, then the fever, then intense mood swings. I realized then and there, about a month and a half after first seeing Embry with Sam. The legends were real.

I decided that the next day I was going to talk to Billy and tell him I knew what was happening. I wouldn't forgive Embry for his actions but I at least, wouldn't be kept in the dark about all of this.

January 19th, 2003.

The next morning though, I noticed something. I was taller. I was usually level with the first bookshelf on the wall which was 5'4 feet tall. Now I reached just below the third one at about 5'9. I couldn't have grown that much over night, did I really not notice this? I felt my forehead and I felt unusually warm. I realized what was happening and ran all the way to Billy Black's house, dead set on speaking to him. I told him everything I figured out and what I realized this morning. He called a counsel meeting and that's were I was at this very moment. In a room with all the elders as well as three of the current pack members, Sam, Embry and Paul.

"How did you figure this all out?" Sam asked after I once again, explained, what I knew and realized. I rolled my eyes at his question.

"Oh I don't know. I only grew up with our tribes legends and then connected the dots as to what was going on with you all. Yea, Embry, your little disappearing act from my life lead me to this and I still hate you." I said as I glared at both boys I had addressed. I folded my arms and turned away as the younger of the two opened his mouth to speak.

"Well, if you are getting the fever then it is only a matter of time before you phase and join the pack." Old Quil said making me look at him.

"You expect me to join the pack? No way in fucking hell." I snapped making most counsel members take a small step back out of surprise. They clearly didn't expect that kind of reaction. Paul growled at me but stopped once he caught the look Sam was giving him.