Chapter 1: LA

It was a few hours before my phone rang again. I answered it, thinking it to be Ruby, only to hear someone shouting on the other end.

"Where are you?!" Leah's panicked voice asked making me chuckle.

"On the road." I answered simply.

"When are you coming back?!" She asked, seeming to have calmed down slightly at the knowledge that I wasn't dead.

"Don't know." I said simply, shrugging my shoulders even though she couldn't see it.

"What do you mean?" She asked me, her voice only slightly raised. "You just left without so much as a goodbye?" She asked me making me sigh.

"Look Leah, I love you and Seth with all my heart! But something happened and I just need some time away to think, okay?" I told her, hearing her sigh on the other end.

"Okay. Just.. Just tell me where you're going." She asked me in defeat making me smile slightly.

"Los Angeles."

"What?!" She yelled. "Why that far away?!"

"Relax Lele." I told her smoothly and heard her take a deep breath. "I'm going with Ruby. She has a few friends up there we can crash with. I even brought the trailer too!" I said to her and heard her give a small laugh.

"Alright, Z. I'll tell mom, dad and Seth not to worry. Just promise to call us at least every few days, okay?" She asked and I nodded before realizing she couldn't see me.

"Sure LeLe, tell them I love them okay? And give Seth a hug for me. I think he misses your hugs to be honest." I said making her laugh.

"Will do. I love you, sis." She said making me smile, my face softening at her sad tone.

"I love you too Leah. I'll be back before you notice!" I said with a laugh and heard her let out a slightly watery chuckle. My eyes got glossy at the thought of her crying.

"Bye Zalla."

"Bye Leah." I hung up with a sigh. I tossed my phone onto the passenger seat before turning up the stereo. A song had just ended and I was expecting something slightly dark and sad because of the sad ending to our call. However, the next song to come on was 'Stacy's mom' and I just started belting out the lyrics, thankful for the pick me up.

☆▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪☆

January 20th, 2003

After 18 hours on the road and plenty of coffee, we were only an hour away from LA. We started this on the morning and now it was about 4 am. Ruby called her friend and got us a place to stay for a while. Ruby also managed to arange a little meeting where I could meet her friends as well as get the okay to keep the trailer beside the warehouse garage they use.

"So who exactly are your friends?" I asked her.

"The one that we are staying with is named Letty. She's really nice but is also a badass, I think you two will get along just fine." I could hear the smile in her words. She was very excited for me to meet her friends while I myself, am a bundle of nerves.

"What about the others? Anything I need to know?" I asked as I glanced out the window at her since we were riding side by side now.

"Well, Vince is a flirt but he also has some anger issues. Mia is sweet and is the little sister of Dominic. I think you and Dominic would get along. Dominic runs an auto shop and diner/market place, Mia takes care of the diner/market though." She explain making me nod, he must be good with cars then. I'll have to see his work.