bones

Megumi's POV

"Goodnight Yuuji".

"Goodnight Megumi".

I felt his warm lips place a gentle kiss on my forehead before my eyes fluttered closed.

*****

I woke up sweating, the feeling of a cool, hard floor underneath my body. I could have sworn I had just fallen asleep in Yuuji's room. Where am I?

I peeled myself off the ground, a mix of confusion and fear washing over me as I focused on the scene in front of me. The room was glowing dark red, a giant pile of assorted animal skulls taking up most of the space. I tried to convince myself that this was some kind of weird dream, but the pit in my stomach told me other wise. I moved my gaze up the mound of skulls, and it felt like someone punched me in the chest. Sukuna sat perched at the top of the pile, a terrifying smile spread across his face.

"Where am I?" I glared at him, and then looked down at my clothes. I was still wearing the same pair of sweatpants I fell asleep in.

"Think of this as my reality," his words were slow and calculated, "the reality in which I exist while your boy-toy is in control of his body". I carefully pondered over what he was saying. I suppose it makes sense that he still needs to exist somewhere even when he's not in control. But even so, why and how did he bring me here?

"Why am I here?" I turned my stare back to Sukuna.

"You've become a bartering token," his lips curved impossibly higher than they already were, "I need to establish a contract with that stupid boy, and by developing feelings for you, he's given me the perfect way to do that. He'll agree to whatever terms I want if your life is at risk".

So, that's what this is about. He wants to use me to get to Yuuji. I felt guilt weighing heavy on my shoulders, knowing that I was going to be pretty useless in this situation. I have no idea where I am, no idea how to get out of this place, and I'm no match for Sukuna in a one on one fight.

"Not to mention...," he started gracefully walking down the skull pile, "I'm sure we'll have lots of fun together while you're here. After all, it'll take some time for them to find you, and time works a little differently here. I think we'll be spending quite a while together".

If time moves slower here than in the real world, that's bad news. I'd be lying if I said his words didn't fill me with fear. Considering everything he did to me a couple weeks ago, I can only imagine the hell he's going to put me through now. But right here, right now, I need to make a promise to myself. No matter what happens to me from now on, I need to preserve so that I can help Yuuji when the time comes.

"You're a lot less talkative now than the last time we met," Sukuna faked a frown, "I thought you'd be more excited to see me".

"Shit," I mumbled under my breath as Sakuna approached closer. I stood up and took a few steps back, trying to keep some distance between us. But he moved at incredible speed, flashing before my eyes and wrapping his huge hand around my throat. It was a feeling that was all too familiar.

He dragged me up the mountain of bones, an array of horns and teeth scraping against my back. I didn't even try to struggle this time, I knew it wouldn't matter. I'm better off conserving my energy for when an escape is actually possible.

He stopped dragging, and finally let go of my throat. I gasped for air, the skin around my neck aching from the tightness of his grip. I looked up and watched him lay back on his throne, his signature evil grin back across his face. He lifted his hand and moved his fingers as if he was beckoning me towards him. A force came over my body, sending flying through the air until I was hovering above him. He must have increased powers here in his domain. If he can move my body like this at will, I'm completely screwed.

He stared up at me, slowly lowering me until I was floating just a few inches above his body, "Let's get started then, shall we?"

I spit at him, my saliva landing on his left cheekbone. His smile faded, and a ravenous look filled his eyes, "I wouldn't have done that if I were you".

I braced myself for what was about to happen, my heart hammering out of my chest. Please find me soon, Yuuji.

*****

Yuuji's POV

"Hey have you seen Megumi today?" I ran up to Nobara, trying to catch my breath from running all over campus.

"No, I haven't," a puzzled look crossed her face, "Why what happened?"

"When I woke up this morning he was gone," I shook my head, "I thought maybe he left to shower or eat breakfast because I slept in, but his phone was still on my night stand. Now I can't find him anywhere".

"Maybe he's with Sensei?" She shrugged her shoulders, "And it's possible he just forgot his phone. I'm sure he's fine".

"Yeah, I guess. I'll go check with Sensei. Thanks, Nobara".

Maybe I'm overthinking this. Sensei probably sucked him into some stupid field trip or training session and he just forgot his phone in my room. Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that's what happened. Either way I'm having a hard time getting over the terrible feeling in my stomach.

*****

hi hi!! another chapter!!!

thank u for reading and lemme know what!! you!! think!!

art credit: @ Mayer1528 on twitter!!!

also disclaimer i have NO IDEA how sakuna's bone pile mind palace shit actually works. I have not read the manga and the anime hasn't explained that yet. so this is all being made up by my stupid little brain and if it doesn't make sense you can yell at me.

<3 silver