pajama night

Megumi's POV

"I'm starving," Itadori groaned, "I need to eat or I'm going to die".

"We should all go get dinner," I suggested, looking over at Itadori and Kugisaki.

We'd been stuck training with the second years all afternoon and honestly I'd worked up quite an appetite myself.

"I already told Maki I was gonna hang with her after training," Kugisaki pouted, "but you two go ahead! I heard there's a new Sushi place just outside the city".

She looked over at me and winked. Telling her about the night Itadori had given me flowers was a huge mistake. She thinks she's some sort of match maker now.

That night was a few weeks ago, and she'd definitely lose her mind if I told her we've hung out together a few times since then.

"Sushi..." Itadori was practically drooling.

"Can we please go check it out, Fushiguro?" he pleaded, tilting his head and batting his eyelashes like a child.

"Yeah, I guess I could go for some sushi," I nodded, "You sure you can't make it Kugisaki?"

"Nope! Way too busy doing girl stuff with Maki. You don't wanna hear about it," she insisted, giggling as she spoke.

"I'll catch up with you two later, have fun!" She waved and ran off, leaving Itadori and I alone.

"Girl stuff," Itadori scrunched up his nose, "what does that even mean?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "Not sure. Should we catch a bus to the city?"

He nodded and we made our way to the closest bus stop outside of campus. It was a peaceful ride into the city, only a few other people on the bus with us. I watched the trees fly past the windows as we drove along. It's nearing autumn in Japan and the trees are turning the most beautiful shades of yellows and reds.

*****

"There it is!" Itadori pointed, his voice filled with excitement.

"Sticky Rice Sushi" The big neon sign read. The store front was ivory white and painted with various bright, colorful flowers. A few posters hung in their windows advertising specialty sushi rolls.

"Hey, wait!" I called after Itadori, who practically ran inside, the door already swinging closed behind him.

I rolled my eyes and quickly followed him into the restaurant.

Itadori's eyes lit up when we sat down. This was one of those places with a conveyor belt that rotates the plates of sushi in a circle. When you see one you like, you take it off the belt and eat it. At the end you're charged by how many plates you have. They're pretty common here, but I suppose Itadori has never been to one before.

"This is so cool!" He could barely contain his enthusiasm, his eyes flashing from plate to plate as he looked at all the options.

I giggled, it was kind of adorable how excited he was about something so ordinary.

We ate until our stomachs couldn't hold anymore, and there were stacks of plates on our table. We paid for our food and started on our way back to the nearest bus stop.

"What did you think?" I turned to Itadori, who was already smiling back at me.

"That was some of best sushi I've ever had. We need to come back again," he insisted.