gojo's friend

Megumi's POV

My muscles ached and I could feel slick beads of sweat dripping down my neck. Gojo Sensei had forced a mandatory training session this morning and he was not going easy on us. My eyes traced over to Kugisaki, who was bending over with her hands on her knees, panting heavily.

"Ok!" Gojo Sensei flashed a smile and gave us a thumbs up. "Lets take a break. I'll be right back", he said before slipping out through the door.

Kugisaki was quick to speak up after he left, "Why is he kicking our asses so bad today?". She shook her head, still trying to catch her breath.

"Who knows..." I plopped down on the floor and chugged the rest of my water bottle.

It's been a couple months since Itadori's death, and I think I might be coming to terms with it. I still have challenging days where that night plays in my head on repeat, but it's getting easier. Missions have been weird with just the two of us and Gojo Sensei, but we still get them done. It just feels like were missing something. Or someone.

Kugisaki walked over and sat down across from me, one leg crossed over the other. She tilted her head to the side and frowned, "Are you thinking about him?"

"Who?" I met her eyes and played dumb.

"Itadori".

Yes. "No", I shook my head, "I'm just tired, that's all".

She laughed, "You are the worst liar, Fushiguro".

I rolled my eyes.

Her face grew serious again, "But it's okay to still be upset about it. It doesn't make you any less strong".

I nodded, keeping my eyes glued to the floor, "Thanks".

The door creaked open and Gojo Sensei stepped back in.

"Sorry about that! I had to meet with a friend of mine, he's going to help us finish up our training today", he beamed.

I raised any eyebrow at him, "Okay, where are they?"

"Don't worry, they're coming. I would like you to fight them as a test of strength. I want to see how you've progressed these past few weeks".

This feels weird. I turned to look at Kugisaki and she just shrugged her shoulders. Seems like she's just as confused as I am.

Gojo Sensei clapped his hands together, "Oh and by the way, the lights will be turned off. I want you two to focus on reading the energy of your opponent. Utilize senses other than sight to win this fight. No Seeing!" He gave us a giant smile.

I tried to question him, "Wha-".

"Start!", he cheered before flipping the lights off.

What the fuck?

The room was so dark I couldn't even see my hands. "Kugisaki", I whispered, trying to focus on seeing her cursed energy.

"I'm over here", I heard her tiny whisper come from my right.

I started to make my way towards her, but I walked right into something tall, and muscular, and definitely not Kugisaki. I jumped back and pressed my hands together, preparing to summon some of my animals.

I wasn't fast enough. I felt a hard blow to my stomach that sent me flying through the air. My back slammed hard into the wall behind us. Sharp pains snaked their way through my body.

I rolled to the side and sprinted across the room, lacing my fingers together and successfully summoning a few toads this time. They hovered around me, ready to help whenever I need.

I sucked in my breath and closed my eyes, trying hard to focus on any energy I could feel around me.

There. It's a few feet in front of me, moving incredibly fast.

My toads helped to hoist me into the air and I leaped over the attacker, landing behind him. Energy was coursing through my body, and I could feel it tingling in my finger tips as I struck a blow into my opponent's back.

He let out a scream, and my heart fell to the floor. I was frozen in place. I knew that voice.

I couldn't move, and warm pain spread through my chest as his fist connected with me again. I hit the ground hard, my head spinning.

I pulled myself back up, "Itadori?" I was embarrassed at how weak my voice sounded.

The lights turned back on.

My breath hitched in my throat; he was standing right in front of me. Alive.

"You dumbass!" Gojo Sensei taunted him, "If you would have kept your mouth shut they wouldn't have figured out the surprise so fast!"

"I couldn't help it Sensei! Fushiguro's really strong!" Itadori laughed.

His laugh echoed through my head, bouncing off the walls of my skull as his death replayed in mind.

What is going on?

As I overcame the shock, I felt anger start to boil inside me. I stood up and walked towards him.

"You're alive?" I breathed, my fists clenched at my sides.

He tilted his head to the side and smiled, "Well, I never really died, actually".

"You piece of shit!" I pulled my arm back and punched him in the face. "You've been alive this entire time and never fucking told us?"

He rubbed the side of his face, grimacing. "Well, it wasn't really my idea-"

"I don't care". I couldn't even think straight, I was overcome with anger and confusion. "You have no idea how hard this has been for us. I watched you die! You know what? Fuck this". I turned around, grabbed my bag, and stormed out the door.

I made my way across campus to the dorm building and back to my room. I tossed my backpack to the ground and fell over onto my bed.

Itadori is alive.

*****

Nobara's POV

"Fushiguro!" I called after him but he was already gone. My heart ached for him. I knew how hard Itadori's death has been for him and I knew he probably had no control over his emotions right now.

"Do you two want to explain what's going here?" I narrowed my eyes at both of them.

"Basically, he didn't die. Sukuna's life force was able to bring him back to life", Gojo Sensei explained. "We didn't tell anyone because it gives us the upper hand if our enemies still think he's dead. But, we thought it was time he rejoin the team. This little prank was my idea, so don't take it out on him".

Itadori rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, "We thought this might be a fun way to surprise you guys. I guess not though".

"Idiots", I sighed and shook my head. "That night was really hard on him Itadori. He has trouble sleeping, he has recurring nightmares and thoughts about your death, and I see him staring off into space all the time. He blames himself for not being able to save you. He'll never admit it but I know he's been struggling".

"Oh...", his shoulders fell and guilt spread across his face, "I didn't realize he put that much thought into it. And it's not that I didn't want to see you guys, I did! But Sensei and the higher ups decided it was best to keep me a secret for a while".

"I understand", I offered him a small smile. "Fushiguro will understand too. Just give him some time. Maybe you should try and talk to him later".

He nodded.

"You two go ahead", Gojo Sensei nodded his head towards the door. "I'll clean up in here. Clearly you three have some shit to work out".

Itadori and I left the training facility and began the long walk back to the dorm building. He filled me in on his trainings and missions the past couple months and I shared our stories with him. It was nice to talk to him again, but an uneasy tension pulled between us as we avoided talking about Fushiguro.

I hope he's doing okay.