forever

2 hours before Sukuna's arrival
Yuuji

Sharp, bitter gusts of cool wind swept through the courtyard, making the hairs on my back stand straight up. The moon was full, illuminating the solemn faces of all the sorcerers gathered here for tonight's unfortunate event. Megumi stood pressed against my side, his shaky fingers squeezed tightly around mine. His moonlit face was pale and covered in tear stains, his long wispy eyelashes still wet from crying.

Nothing felt real right now, in fact everything felt like a facade. This feels like one giant fucked up movie in which I am playing the role of myself. My mind has been completely unable to process that I will permanently lose control of my body in less than two hours.

But, I continued to remind myself that if they can beat Sukuna, Megumi will be safe, and then all of this will be worth it. As much as it shatters my heart to leave his side, I'd sacrifice myself every single day if it ensured his safety. That is my priority.

I tugged at Megumi's hand, leading him away from the group and over to a secluded park bench on the other side of the courtyard. He looked at me with sad eyes, tears beginning to well up within them once more. He was trying so hard to maintain a neutral expression.

"This doesn't feel real," he spoke softly, his voice barely audible.

"I know," was all I could manage to say.

We sat in silence, my hand intertwined with his.

*****
5 minutes until Sakuna's arrival

The silence was deafening, my friends, mentors, and even sorcerers I had never met before surrounded me, a determined glint in their eyes. I had exchanged goodbyes with almost everyone, except Gojo Sensei. While everyone else was taking their positions, he approached me, a warm smile across his face.

"Itadori".

"Yes, Sensei?" I looked up at him confused, knowing I only had a few minutes left.

"You're a good kid, and your mission was to help people. I hope that you can find solace in the fact that you have absolutely accomplished that".

"I don't know, I-," I started, but got cut off.

"You've done much more than you think you have," he spoke firmly, "Oh, and one more thing. I won't lie to you, it is incredibly unlikely that you will survive tonight, but if a miracle opportunity presents itself, I will be the first one there to save you".

"Thank you, Sensei," I offered him a small smile, trying to hide the immense panic that I was feeling internally.

He reached out and ruffled his long fingertips through my hair before taking a few steps back. I must only have a minute or so left at this point. I found Megumi's face amongst the various sorcerers, meeting his eyes that were already looking in my direction. I curved my lips into a smile, to which he returned with a frown.

I would never regret my time with Megumi, but sometimes I wonder if things would have been better for him if I had cut him off all those months ago. I've caused him so much pain and suffering.

My thoughts began to consume me in those final seconds, and then my vision went black.

*****
Megumi