yellow

Megumi's POV

Warm light seeped through the door to my room as it slowly creaked open. Itadori's head peeked around the corner, only far enough to see his eyes.

"Can I come in?"

"You could have knocked first," I mumbled, sitting up out of bed.

"I'll take that as a yes!" He said way too confidently.

He stepped into the dark room and closed the door behind him. The only light was coming from a dim lamp on my nightstand. Ever so slowly he turned around and held out a bunch of yellow flowers.

"Flowers?" My voice was flat. What could he possibly be thinking right now?

"Yes," he looked at me seriously, reaching the bouquet closer.

"Why would you get me flowers?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"I don't know! Isn't that what people do when they mess up?" He crossed his arms, swinging the flowers and sending a couple petals tumbling to the floor. "Kugisaki said you haven't gotten outside much lately. I thought maybe if I brought a little piece of outside to you, it might make you feel better".

"I'm not sure if a few flowers are gonna make up for months of thinking that you were dead," I spat at him.

"I'm sorry", Itadori's face fell, and his arms dropped to his sides.

"I just wanted to bring you these and explain everything that happened. I'll leave right now if you want, but please take them".

He held the bouquet out in front of me again.

For some reason, my heart softened just enough for me to reach out and take the flowers. I pulled them into my lap and stared down at them. They were really beautiful, even if they were missing a few petals from Itadori shaking them around.

"I'll go", he turned back and started heading towards the door.

I watched him walk away, and when he put his hand on the door knob I felt my chest ache.

"Stay," I sighed. "I want to know what happened, and why you hid from us for so long".

So he stayed, and explained everything from the day he died up until now. He told me about waking up in the laboratory where they planned on testing his body, and how Sukuna had kept him alive for some reason. He explained that Gojo Sensei decided that he needed to stay a secret for now, and that he really didn't have a choice in the matter.

He told me details of every mission he's been on by himself, even the ones that he failed. And disclosed the different jujutsu sorcerers that have helped train him these last few months. It sounds like they're taking his training really seriously.

"I wanted to see you guys!" He exclaimed, "but I couldn't go against Gojo Sensei". He shook his head, "I'm sorry".

I felt guilty for jumping to conclusions earlier. I should have given him the opportunity to explain himself.

"It's okay. It sounds like this wasn't super fun for you either. I'm sorry I punched you".

Itadori laughed and rubbed the side of his face, "It still hurts a little bit!"

A silence fell over us for a few minutes. We were both laying on my bed, flat on our backs with our feet dangling off the side, watching my ceiling fan spin in circles. I felt a weird sense of comfort wash over me.

"Would you be able to tell me about that night?" Itadori turned to face me, resting his head on his hand, "the one where I died?"

I kept my eyes fixed on the ceiling. I could feel my chest get tight just thinking about it.