015

chapter fifteen  . . . THE SEARCH
❝ we just did. ❞

NICK FURY MAKES HIS WAY UP TOWARDS THE VAN WAITING FOR HIM.

Everything that he'd kept on people, that he'd owned sits in briefcases of grey and black. He's dressed in his usual clothing, a long black jacket and the eyepatch that covers his scarred eye. To the world Nicholas J. Fury is dead, he's long one and the only remains is six feet under in a cemetery somewhere in Washington D.C., he has to keep it that way. It means that he won't be bothered every five seconds about a new mission, or an agents death. Maybe one of the Avengers slipping up or an insane assassin trying to end his life twice. It didn't matter, but it meant that his life could be quiet. He could spend his death peacefully. 

His fingerprint allowed him to open a small box containing his passport, a gun and some money. Things he'll need to get by, he might not necessarily need it though. Who knows, but he must be prepared. Fury changed into civilian clothing and watched in the small mirror as he removed his black eyepatch and exchanged it for a pair of dark shades. 

As he poured gasoline over the canter, Fury paused on a beige file peaking out from a cardboard box that was laid beneath the table. He bent down, pausing his actions and plucked it out. Written across the top:

ROMANOVA, NATALIA ALIANOVNA
The Black Widow
IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE KGB

The ragged picture of the red headed woman staring at the camera, dark red bangs falling over her pale forehead and stood tall. A small smirk pierces her lips, one that makes Nick smirk to himself, that infamous smirk. She'd been so proud the day she'd won her badge, but so young. Barely just an adult, still a kid. But then again, someone who has had the life that Natasha Romanoff has isn't a kid. They're forced to mature quicker, to survive. His eyes flicked over the papers, reading down her information. Most of it redacted but a part that's not causes him to stop. 

MOTHER: unknown
FATHER: unknown
CHILD: unnamed [ DECEASED ]

He guesses the end part of that should be changed, and the name of her kid. She had a name now and she is most certainly not dead, never was. Nick hadn't a clue what her name is, she's probably had many and she's probably lived a life full of abuse, torture, control, manipulation... he could go on. She'd survived hell itself to meet her mother and father and Fury didn't know if she'd been happy or not, he could only guess she was but he could leave Natasha knowing that she's not entirely alone in this world. Besides, she's got the Avengers to make sure she stays in trouble.