six

chapter six . . . CRUEL, CRUEL WORLD
don't do this to me, nick

A SLEEK BLACK STINGRAY PULLS UP IN FRONT OF THE TALL WHITE BUILDING. A red head with a torn expression climbs out of the drivers side amongst the S.H.I.E.L.D. SUV's, Police and Paramedics, amongst the chaos outside of the hospital. Natalia Romanov, more widely known as Natasha Romanoff now, runs into the entrance and down the halls lined with officers and doctors, patients and agents. She ignores the shouts of people buzzing in her ears, drowned by the worry that spreads from her chest. 

Her red hair tosses over her shoulder as she pushes the door to the observation room open. Steve Rogers had his hands pressed against the window ledge as he watched the operating theatre, Maria Hill speaks angrily down the phone in a hushed tone towards the corner of the room. The tension in the room is thick, filled with worry and terror. Nick Fury is laid on the operating bed whilst Doctors and Nurses work to save his life. Vitals beep inside, he's still alive. Natasha wants to speak, but she's stunned into silence watching as they remove the bullets from the Director who is on life support. Her lips part and a lump forms in the back of her throat that no matter how many times she tries, she can't swallow it down. 

"Is he gonna make it?" The red headed woman manages out. Steve shakes his head ever so slightly. 

"I don't know." Steve replies, his tone laced with sadness and an all to familiar anger. Nat could feel her fingers start to tremble; she honestly couldn't work out if she was more angry or distraught, her emotions bundling up in her chest. Either way, she could loose Fury. 

Not Nick.

Not the man who was like a father towards her. 

Not the man who gave her the platform she had now. 

Not the man who gave her something to believe in. 

The lump in her throat burned whilst her eyes pricked with tears, that looks of violence ceasing to exist and was replaced with pain. An unfamiliar feeling bubbled in her chest, one that she'd only felt once before. When her daughter was taken. When she had fought for so long to save her helpless four year old. Natasha lost something that day, the day she tried to save her little bean. She didn't know if her daughter was alive or where she was but she knew that Nick is alive, and he's fighting. That felt like a blessing towards Nat, the world finally being the tiniest bit of kind to her.