Leaving

"Promise you'll call every day," she spoke with uncertainty, yet trust. Her hands were intertwined with Sam's.

"I promise," he said, knowing he would look forward to that call all day.

Mercedes took a deep sigh and looked down at her ring. "We will plan everything for our wedding when we get back."

"Of course," Sam slightly lifted his head. "I look forward to that moment."

A loud voice from the speakers broke up their moment. "Calling all passengers,"

The voice continued to talk, but Sam zoned it out. "You sure you want this?"

"This is a dream, Sam."

6 months was a long time, but it was easier to let her go knowing she would be happy. This was her dream, and so it became his. "You are going to have an amazing time," he added.

"Would've been better if you were there," she said, but they both knew Sam was lucky enough to attend college, and he didn't want to quit.

They knew their hands would have to let go soon. Not now, but soon. Sam wanted to hold on as long as possible, but he knew that couldn't happen.

"I love you," she sprang out, but their was a crack in her voice.

"I love you, too," he replied, his eyes growing watery. "I'll miss you so much, Mercedes...you know that."

"This is the last call," The speaker declared.

Mercedes reached up to meet Sam's lips. The loud crowd of bustling people grew quiet as Sam put a hand to her hair and leaned in closer.

Their hands drifted away from each other, and before Sam knew it, so did she. She looked back to release a wave and he waved back. It was a sad wave because it wouldn't reappear for another 6 months.

-----------------------------

Sam sat on the couch with the T.V blaring and a bowl of cereal in hand. He already missed the smell of her fresh baked cookies.

His phone started to ring quietly in his pocket. "Puck, hey."

"Hey dude, how are you doing with Mercedes leaving."

"It's only the first night, but I'm sure It'll kick in later."

"Finn and I are going on a double date with Quinn and Rachel, want to come?"

Sam knew Puck was insensitive, but this was not the right time. "I'm busy with..homework, but thanks."

"Suit yourself," he said.

Sam hung up the phone and looked at his pile of homework. He wasn't lying, but he also wasn't doing any homework tonight. Sadness makes you lose motivation. Plus, being the fifth wheel would've been a constant reminder he couldn't see his girlfriend. That he was alone. He had an interview with a modeling agency tomorrow morning, so he went to bed early.

------------------------------

"Sam Evans?" The lady asks. She was dressed in formal wear and didn't seem the type to joke around with due to the serious frown she held.

"Yes," said Sam. He took a seat and waited while she moved around some paperwork.

"Ok, have you had any experience before with modeling?" She asked.

Sam shook his head innocently.

"What made you want to get into this industry?"

"I've always wanted a picture of me on a bus."

"Hm," The lady gave an odd look. "We look for punctuality, arriving on time, and working hard. Do you feel you have those qualities?"

Sam remembered all those times he was late, and all the times when he never handed in his homework. "If I'm being completely honest, uh no." The lady raised her eyebrows because surely no one would answer that question with absolute truth, except for Sam.

"What jobs have you had in the past?"

"I waited tables."

The lady nodded and then took off her glasses. "I think we're done here."

"Are you sure? Was it something I said?" He asked, surprised it was over so soon.

"Actually, it was a bit of everything. Thank you, uh, Mr. Evans."

Sam got up to leave with disappointment, but then stopped at the door. "I'll work hard. Diet, exercise whatever. You name it, I'll do it. I don't seem like a hard worker, but If I want something, I'll work for it."

"We'll give you a call if you get the job," She said politely, but her face said otherwise.

-----------------------

4 weeks. She's been gone for four weeks. Loneliness crept upon Sam as he continuously arrived home from college to be brought into an apartment meant for two. Puck called the other day about Sam missing classes- Yep, he was already at that stage- and was concerned about him, Finn too. But, Sam told him not to worry. They didn't seem to worry either as they spent most of their time going on double dates and partying, so really, he had no one.

Mercedes called, yes, but most of the time she was busy and had to leave. Daily calls turned into weekly, and there was not even a call from the modeling agency but based on his interview, that was expected.

Sam picked up his phone excitedly seeing, 'Mercedes', on his call display. "Hey, how are you. How's the tour? I haven't heard your voice all week."

"It's great! I can't believe all the amazing fans I'm meeting and seeing the beautiful cities, it's really amazing."

"Wow, that's great." He said although a spring of jealousy crept upon him. She was doing so well without him and Sam was in the worst place he's ever been...worse than being homeless. "You barely call anymore," he said sadly.

She didn't answer for a split second but then found her voice. "I know, I'm so sorry Sam but I'm really busy."

Sam didn't say anything.

"I miss you," she said softly.

"I miss you too," Sam muttered. There was a small pause, but then he spoke. "I love you so much."

"I love you, too."

Sam hung up the phone but wished he could stay on forever. Hearing her voice helped, but he didn't know how he was going to go without her for another 5 months. 5 more months, that's all there was left...but what would happen in the meantime?

----------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and the story so far! 💕