Lonely

A furry friend scraped his paws against the cage to get attention from a possible owner.

"Wow, you really want me to buy you, huh?"

The dog barked twice and Sam bent down to get a better look.

"Ok, I guess I'll think about it."

The dog perked his head and widened his eyes.

"Well, now I practically have to get you."

A voice called, making Sam turn his head to reveal a familiar blonde.

"Thinking about buying a dog?" She asked. Quinn stood over his shoulder, also looking at the adorable puppy making a sad face.

"Yeah, it's getting kinda lonely without Mercedes here. What are you doing here in town I thought you left?" Sam asked while standing up to face her. He was never that close with Quinn, only when she got him the ring, but it felt nice to see someone. To get rid of the loneliness.

"I'm actually planning to stay here for a bit. More time to spend with Puck, plus I have an audition here."

"Oh, cool." Sam knew Quinn was trying to get into acting, but never got any callbacks. "You're going to crush your audition."

"Thanks. Maybe this will be the time I actually get one. I've been thinking about giving up."

"Hey, I feel you. I kind of feel like my life is...taking a turn for the worst." He said.

"What do you mean?" She asked. Her head turned sideways.

"Well, since Mercedes left I haven't been attending classes and I'm probably giving up my dream of being a model...I'm just feeling really lonely"

Quinn gave a sympathetic smile. "I'm so sorry, If you ever need a friend I'm here. We can talk."

"Yeah, I'd like that." He replied. A friend who actually cared would be nice. The dog barked and Sam brought his attention back to him.

"I think you should get him." She said, probably noticing Sam's desire as he looked at him.

"I think that's a perfect idea."

-----------------------------------

"McConaughy," Sam said while petting the dog. "That's what I'll name you."

The dog perked up his ears and jumped off the couch, going towards a photograph of him and Mercedes. It then made him wonder what she was doing at this exact moment.

------------------------------

The crowd cheered with love while wanting more, but a few songs was all she had planned for that night. "Thank you everybody!" Mercedes said loudly. She then made her way backstage, tired from another night away.

"You did wonderfully." Her manager said.

"Thanks. I'm so tired, I just need to lie down." Sleep was needed most of the time, but the energy from the crowd helped her stay awake and reminded her why she sang.

"I wouldn't do that yet." He replied.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"Because I requested to see you." A voice called and Mercedes quickly turned her head. No? It couldn't be.

"Shane?"

He stepped closer. There was a bunch of roses in one hand and a discreet smirk laid across his face.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"I came to see one of your shows...you have such a beautiful voice. I knew you would make it as a singer." He said. He handed her the roses and Mercedes barely realized he did but took them with great hesitance. She was too concerned about his presence and him showing up out nowhere. It was too much of a surprise.

"Umm. How have you been?" She asked. She didn't know what to say, but small talk came in handy. Especially since what Mercedes did to him.

"Fine, I got a scholarship." He replied. She always figured he would. "You seem to be doing well."

"Oh yeah, still have another four months to go." She said with a laugh, although it wasn't funny. Her nerves were showing.

"Cool, cool. If you want, we could have dinner together. I know you're probably lonely and maybe need some time away from your job, the fans."

Mercedes didn't know what to say but had to clear something up first. "Sam and I are still together...you know that right? In fact, we're getting married."

Shane looked at her and then looked away with a laugh. "I know, I'm asking from a friends perspective. Thats all. I'm serious."

If that was all then what was the harm? Plus, she needed someone. She hasn't been home in a while and deeply missed Sam. "Ok." She agreed. "Take me wherever you like, I'm unfamiliar with the city."

Shane smiled. "Great."

---------------------------------

They walked along the streets. It was dark, but luckily the few street lamps guided them.

"So your living in New York now, how's that?" Shane asked. His tone was subtle.

"The fact that I'm following my dreams, it's just amazing, really."

"I always knew you we're going to be a star." He replied. "I'm happy for you."

Mercedes looked away. She didn't know if Shane would ever forgive her, but apparently they ended up on good terms. Shane was always good to her, so she did feel bad for leading him on. "Thanks. So where's the restaurant you were talking about?" She didn't want to discuss the past.

"Oh yeah it's just down the-

"Hold on, I just got to take this," Mercedes interjected as her phone began to ring. Shane nodded as she walked behind to answer. "Hey, Sam."

"Hey, I just wanted to see how you're doing. I miss you like crazy."

"I miss you too. You have no idea."

"I got a puppy." He said proudly.

"A puppy? Sam are you going to take care of him?"

"What do you mean of course. Your not here Mercedes, and I'm lonely. I just needed someone, you don't know how bad I miss you...or what I'm going through right now."

Mercedes didn't realize how lonely Sam must be. She never really asked him about his life, most of their conversation was based around her on tour. "I'm sorry." She said.

"For what?" He asked confused. There were so many possibilities for the next few words.

"I never ask you how you're doing."

"... you're busy-

"That's no excuse. So, how are you doing Sam? Tell me."

Mercedes could hear Sam sigh deeply. "I didn't get a call from the modelling agency. My interview sucked and I feel like giving up. Plus I've been kinda...skipping classes."

Mercedes could feel Sams's pain through the phone. While she was having a good time, he was at a bad time in his life. "Don't give up on your dreams, I believe in you. I can already see my wedding dress and you smashing cake on my face." She said.

She heard Sam give a laugh through the phone. "You're right. What are you doing right now? Maybe we could FaceTime."

Mercedes looked at Shane who was patiently waiting by the curb, his hands resting in his pockets. "I'm sorry I can't. This tour is just crazy."

"Don't worry I understand." He replied. Gosh, he was so understanding. She could tell him anything and he'd be there. "I love you."

"I love you too." He hung up the phone and she looked over at Shane who was smiling innocently.

"You ready?" He asked.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm ready." She said. What made her lie to Sam? She didn't know, but something deep inside her said don't tell the truth. She told herself it was better because Sam wouldn't be jealous or worried. Plus, he was already in a bad state, and there was nothing to worry about...was there?"

---------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I will be updating very soon and it gets interesting...💕