Nationals

It was bright and early on a very important day. Nationals. Sam fiddled his way to the kitchen, being careful not to wake anyone up, and got out numerous breakfast ingredients. He wasn't knowledgeable about cooking, but was sure he could figure it out. After all, Mercedes's family was kind to him. Making breakfast was the least he could do.

"Ok, eggs. Check. Butter...," he looked in the fridge and found the butter. "Check...flour," he looked in the cabinet and pulled out a bucket filled with a grainy substance that looked like flour and placed it down. "Perfect, time to make the pancakes."

Sam tried to be as careful as he could when cracking the eggs but ended up dropping each and everyone on the floor. Being clumsy was always a setback of his. "Crap," he mumbled, thinking he was going to wake them up. Sam began to clean up the splattered eggs and then looked up to a familiar figure, a loud yell escaping his mouth.

"Oh I didn't mean to scare you," Mercedes said, her pajama's on and hair slightly messy.

"Oh no, I just didn't hear anybody come down that's all."

Mercedes looked at the mess on the floor. "I couldn't sleep, I'm too nervous about nationals today. What are you up to?"

Sam cracked a smile. "I'm attempting to make breakfast for you guys, but, I've already failed."

"That's alright. I'm sure anything you make will be fine and my parents will like it. Even if it's...raw eggs."

"I hope, but hey, you are going to kill it at Nationals today," Sam said while getting up from the floor, hoping to soothe Mercedes anxiety.

"Thanks and I have a surprise for you," she replied.

"A surprise? What is it-

Mercedes tossed a bunch of flour at Sams's face. Shocked, Sam fluttered his eyes open and tried to shake the flour out of his messy, uncombed hair.

"Ok, you did not just do that."

Mercedes laughed. "But I did."

Sam did the same thing back, by grabbing some flour from the bowl and tossing it at Mercedes's hair.

"Hey," she yelled. They stood staring at each other, and then they both raced for the flour. Tossing it back and forth, they tried to quiet their laughter.

"What's going on?"

Really, they should have stopped, but instead, Sam threw flour at the new figure. Only then, he realized who it was.

"I'm so sorry Mrs. Jones, I didn't mean to throw it at you I was just trying to cook breakfast for you guys-I swear."

Her mother wiped it off her face, letting some get into her mouth, while Mercedes slapped her hand to her face.

Sam thought she would be mad, but instead, she said, "That's alright dear. Maybe next time, try making pancakes with flour instead of baking powder."

Mercedes looked to Sam and then they burst out laughing noticing the wrong ingredient.

"At least he tried Mom."

"Your right, I'll give him credit for that," she said with a laugh to herself.

------------------------------------------------------

"Your right, so much better Mrs. Jones," Sam said while gulping down the new-made breakfast.

"Glad you enjoy it," she said. "How are you, honey?" she gestured to Mercedes who didn't seem to eat a bite.

"I'm too nervous."