Detention

Sam walked into the principles office with his head down low. He knew it was coming, being late a large number of times was asking for it.

"Hello Mr. Evans, please take a seat." The principle said while pointing to a chair. Sam took a seat and rested his hands on his knees while the principle continued to talk in a monotone voice.

"I'm aware that-

"I was late a bunch of times, look I know but I promise I'll start being on time," Sam said sincerely, cutting off the principle.

"Actually, no teacher informed me of that...anyway, instead I was informed that you stole food from the cafeteria." Sam's expression changed from sad to surprised. He didn't expect that, for some reason he believed Mercedes wouldn't do that, but why would she after what happened? He gulped.

"Oh, that. I'm beyond sorry, I promise I will never do that again."

"Detention for two weeks."

"What but-

"No arguing." The principle said harshly. "Stealing is wrong."

-----------------------------------

Mercedes left talking with Shane to follow Sam and explain to him it wasn't her, but she took a detour so Shane wouldn't find out. While going towards the office, Rachel stopped her midway.

"Look, Mercedes, I know the solo Mr. Shue gave me was supposed to be yours, but you couldn't have sung it with that much emotion like me. I think he made a good choice." Mercedes rolled her eyes and didn't care that Rachel noticed.

"You're telling me, that you came all the way over here, to tell me Mr. Shue made a good choice of not giving me the solo. That makes me feel good."

"Well, actually I kinda lied, I thought you didn't care anymore but clearly you do. Do you want the solo still?"

"Uh, yeah." She said as if it was a rhetorical question, and she could see Rachel getting clearly annoyed.

"Fine. Mr. Shue said if you still want it then we have to have a solo battle. You can pick any song you want, but just know that emotion usually wins...and clearly I can win hearts over. Anyway, be prepared in a few weeks." Rachel said and walked off at her usual fast pace. Mercedes thought of a few songs she could sing, but none of them really expressed her.

Before she could finally visit Sam in the office, the bell rang, and so she figured she could talk to him at lunch. Shane texted her on they way.

Lunch together? I don't have practice.

I would totally but I have study group, sorry. Mercedes replied, she needed to talk to Sam urgent to explain herself, because he has the option to pick up his backpack and leave anytime, and she didn't want that. But, she did feel bad lying to Shane considering he would never lie to her.

That's very important, hopefully next time. Shane texted back.

--------------------------

Lunch time arrived and so she found the blond haired boy sitting down at a corner table per usual, earbuds in. As she came nearer Sam noticed her but didn't bother to take his earbuds out. Mercedes took a seat and looked at Sam for him to notice her so she could talk, but he continued to play the music in his ears.

"Sam." She yelled. Sam sighed and didn't look up, and so she pulled out his earbud.

"I know what happened." She said. Sam finally took out the other earbud to listen. "They found out about you stealing food." Sam nodded and opened his mouth.

"Look you don't have to be sorry that you told them, we weren't really friends yet and you didn't know what situation I was in or anything."

"I didn't tell them, I would usually, but something inside me said-anyways, Shane did it."

Sam wasn't surprised, he just continued to be sad. "It's fine. I have two weeks of detention after school."

"But what about your job?" She asked. Sam sighed because he knew that was the problem. He had finally found a job, and of course, he went out and ruined it.

"I'll probably be fired." He said bluntly.

"No you have to try and talk to them, I'll even go with you and explain." Sam put his earbuds back in.

"That's really sweet of you Mercedes, but my boss is strict. I'll try, but I won't guarantee anything." Mercedes looked at him as sad as the acoustic music playing in his ear.

"Mercedes?" A familiar voice called.

"Oh crap." She mumbled. Shane was behind her.

"What are you doing here with...Sam, I thought you had study group?" He asked, trying not to raise his voice in anger.

"Um, Sam and I-we were-um...we have a project together, remember the science one I was talking about?" Shane nodded slowly, trying to understand where this was going, while Sam was just as confused.

"I had to skip study group to finish the project with Sam, right Sam?" She asked glancing at him. Sam took out his earbuds, let out a small cough and played along.

"Uh, yeah. We were just getting started." Shane looked at Sam suspiciously, and then smiled at Mercedes.

"Well, good luck baby." He said, and then exaggerated a kiss on Mercedes for Sam to clearly see. When he walked away, Mercedes let go of her held breath.

"What was that all about?" Sam asked. "Did you not tell Shane about me living with you?"

"I was going too...," Mercedes began.

"And..."

"I guess I don't really want him to know. He doesn't like you as it is, and so if he found out you were living with me then he might get upset."

"So are you just going to avoid me at school?" Sam asked. Mercedes paused, and then slowly nodded with a hurt face.

"I'm sorry." She said.

"It's cool." He replied, and then held out his earbud. "Do you want to listen?"

"Sure." Mercedes grabbed it and put it in her ear.

"Oh my gosh, I love this song. You don't seem like the type to listen to Ed Sheeran." Sam just smirked.

"I don't seem like the type, but hey, you never judge a comic book by it's cover..."

"You surprise me Sam Evans." Said Mercedes with a smile.

"Is that a good thing?" He asked with a discreet raise to his eyebrows.

"It could be."

------------------------

Stay tuned, theirs a special Samcedes moment in the next chapter!