Will you marry me?

"Mercedes I need to talk to you. It's urgent, and not like a fashion emergency, like very urgent." Kurt spoke into her ear, getting louder with every word.

"Kurt, slow down. What are you talking about? I'm just about to head into work."

"Can it wait," he asked, but was to hyper to let her answer. "I saw Sam with another girl."
Mercedes's heart did a somersault. Any words she had jumped out of her throat.

"What? Kurt, don't play with me...how can you be sure?"

"It's Quinn, they were talking and-and,"

"Quinn?" The word escaped her mouth with a lump in her throat. Anybody but a perfect blonde who wasn't her friend...but Quinn? That must explain where Sam has been going all the time, to see Quinn.

"I heard something about..." Mercedes thought she had lost connection on the phone, but it was only the dramatic pause he took."Marriage."

Mercedes had a flashback of Quinn yesterday, stumbling over who the ring was for. Now she knew...but hoped it was a nightmare and that she would wake up and be in Sam's arms like always.

"I'm so done with him."

--------------------------------

Sam, Puck, Finn and Quinn gathered around at a table.

"College is awesome." Puck shouted making Finn give a look of bewilderment.

"You barely do the work, let alone show up to class."

"Yes, but I'm talking about the parties." He replied. Sam and Finn laughed, but Quinn seemed unhappy.

"Puck, if you want to be successful you have to work for it." She implied, but Puck just laughed and kissed Quinn on the cheek.

"Well, I got you." He said, causing Quinn to blush and let out a sly smirk.

"So," She began. "When are you planning to pop the question?" Sam looked at the ring in the box, the one that perfectly fit Quinn and hopefully Mercedes.

"Soon, I'm just nervous," he replied. Sam has been nervous for weeks now, but that was expected. Proposing so young is a risk, but he was willing to take it. He was planning to do it soon and had a perfect romantic place to do it...if things went to plan.

"I'm nervous for you dude," Finn said as if that helped ease the nerves.

"Same." Puck agreed. "Where are you planning on popping the question."

"My hope is to propose on top of the Empire State Building."

"Oh, that's so romantic." Quinn squealed. Sam couldn't think of a better place to do it. He was ready to marry Mercedes. Despite being so young, Sam thought that age had nothing to do with love, and he had been thinking about it ever since they moved in together. Today was finally the day.

"Well," Quinn began. "I hope the ring is good and in mint condition."

"Thanks again for bringing it to me, it was hard to afford. Your mothers a gem. Also, the advice really helped. You see, I want it to be perfect and say the right things and I don't want to screw anything up between us, so I figured you would know best of what a girl wants," said Sam, his nerves now starting to kick in. Everything was set to plan, he just needed action.

"I'm glad I could help." She said, her smile warm.

—————————
Mercedes felt a ringing vibration in her bag but was too busy to pick it up. She was working on learning a new song with her coworker. After finishing, she had a voicemail.

"Hey, Mercedes. I was hoping you could phone me back, but anyway...can you meet me at the Empire State Building at 7:00 o'clock. I have something I want to tell you."

Mercedes rapidly shut her phone, followed by her eyes. She didn't have time for him anymore. She was done with him. Whatever he was planning to tell her, she knew it wouldn't be good and so ignored any thought of him.

But some part of her still ached to know the truth, and so she texted him with every angry bone in her body.

We need to talk

Sam came over to her work in an instant, as if those words were money and if he hadn't come quick enough, he would lose it.

"Mercedes, what is it?" He asked breathlessly. Mercedes was standing outside of her work building, a smile would never appear in the anger she looked.

"Don't lie to me anymore."

"Mercedes," Sam put a hand on her shoulder, but she brushed it away.

"What are you talking about?" He pleaded. Mercedes felt she couldn't even face him.

"I know where you've been going, hell we've barely talked each other this past week. Now it makes sense. I don't care how long you were going to keep this up but I'm done." She walked away, leaving Sam speechless.

Mercedes made it home and called her best friend.

"I did it." She said, and the sobs took over her.

"That's good, did he explain himself?" Kurt asked. Mercedes wiped her tears.

"No, I couldn't look at him." Kurt paused as if that was a bad idea. Was it? She thought.

"Maybe you should have let him, Cedes." Mercedes sighed, shook her head, and reached for the nearest tub of ice cream to drown her sorrows in. She hung up the phone and ignored every call or text Sam sent. She then looked at her songs, the ones she told were awful and grabbed a clean sheet. Her emotions wrote the song, the pen only guided.

The doorbell rang, but Mercedes ignored it. Sam probably had the keys and so just opened it himself.

"Hi." He said, staring at her broken state. Mercedes looked away.

"This wasn't what I was planning...but I figure I need to tell you this before you hate me forever." He took a seat beside her and rested his hands on his lap. "I'm not cheating on you, I would never cheat on you." Mercedes suddenly grew attentive and was eager to see if every word was true.

"I saw you with Quinn though." She interrupted. "Well, Kurt did. He told me you were getting married and I saw her yesterday with a ring, she seemed unsure of her fiance." Mercedes crossed her arms. "Now I understand why."

Sam let out a laugh."Wow. You have never been so wrong." Mercedes eyes widened because the thought of Sam and Quinn didn't seem too far out, or maybe it did. "Look, I didn't want to do this now, in fact, I had a whole romantic plan and everything but," Sam got down on one knee. "This will have to do." He opened up a black box, presumably the one hidden in his pocket, and unleashed a silver promise.

"The first day I saw you, I thought you were the prettiest girl I've ever seen. And then I fell in love with your personality, and that's when I knew, theirs no other girl out their for me. Only you, always you. So, Mercedes Jones, will you marry me?"

-----------------------------------

What will Mercedes say? Ahh, so exciting!

Thanks for reading and voting, I hope you're enjoying the story!