Busy schedule

"Hey babe, can we go now I'm starving?" Shane asked while leaning against a locker and admiring Mercedes.

"Yeah I'm just putting some stuff away and then I gotta go talk to Sam."

"Who's Sam?" He asked with a hint of envy.

She put a few books in and shut it. "My partner for science class. I need to work on this project with him but he doesn't seem to want to help back."

"Well you tell him, babe, you always do." He kissed her forehead. "I'll wait for you there, I just got to talk to the coach about missing practice. I feel bad enough as it is, but I had to." Mercedes rubbed his back.

"I know you did Shane, you're a good guy." She waved goodbye and began to walk towards Sam's locker. She saw him load everything into his backpack, and then shut his locker with full force and run as if he was running late for a race.

"Sam," Mercedes called to him as he ran past her. He looked back, smiled, and waved, and then continued to run.

"Wait, come talk to me." Gosh, he's annoying, she thought. "Our project is due at the end of the week!"

Sam ignored Mercedes yelling and swiftly walked past the corner. "Busy." He yelled.

Mercedes rolled her eyes. "What is with him." She muttered. She didn't care for his attitude.
——————-

Mercedes walked into the restaurant and met Shane sitting at a near table. He waved his hand to signal for her to come over.

"Hey." She greeted him while pulling out a chair that squeaked as she pulled it.

"Hey," Shane replied. "Ready to order?" Mercedes nodded.

"It's the usual for me." She said while closing the menu. After a few minutes of Shane browsing through the menu, the server came.

"Alright guys, what would you like to-

His voice sounded familiar, almost like she could put a face to it. The waiter stopped greeting them before talking about the specials, and Mercedes soon realized why when she looked up at him. Sam was their waiter, and he seemed nervous. She never thought of him having a job.

"Well, this is a surprise," Mercedes said. Sam cleared his throat and looked around nervously, as he seemed like he didn't want them to know he worked here.

"Definitely a surprise." He responded. Shane stopped looking at the menu and turned his attention towards the waiter.

"And who is this?" He asked. Mercedes pointed her heads towards Sam.

"Sam." Shane raised his eyebrows.

"Oh, the person you said was being rude to you." With that knowledge, Shane looked him up and down as if he was about to insult him any second, and Sam grew a little scared.

"Look why don't we just order," Sam suggested.

"I never pictured you to have a job. Is this what you meant by busy?" Mercedes asked. Sam looked around at the restaurant as if the table beside him had the answer.

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Don't tell me you work here every day?" She asked. "Because I'm sure you can spare some time for me," Mercedes said. Shane laughed and threw his hands up.

"I thought just one glance would do it but." Mercedes grew a hint of red on her cheeks.

"You're so sweet."

Sam looked from left to right, as they were having a moment, then decided to remind them he was still there.

"Uh no. No, I don't." He said with a stutter, clearly lying.

"Perfect, you can help Mercedes with the project then. Tomorrow?" Sam shifted a bit and then spoke.

"Why not."

"Great tomorrow at your place." Said Mercedes while handing him a menu. Sam grabbed it reluctantly because the words "your place" didn't exist.

"Actually I think your place would work better." He said. Mercedes felt a hint of embarrassment as he talked.

"Oh ok. My place tomorrow then. And I'll have the tater tots." She added. Sam
Smiled.

"Great choice."

"I know it is."

--------------------------

Bit of a shorter chapter, but the next will be longer and sooner. Thanks for reading!