- chapter twenty four

Draco decided to take his own leave a few moments after you left, smiling to himself as he walked, his hands slipping into his pockets. Stepping outside into the corridor, he was taken aback when his eyes fell on a familiar face.

Filch had your sleeve in his grip and was grumbling incoherently, Mrs Norris circling your ankles, almost taunting you as you struggled in Filch's grasp. You pulled a face in disgust, trying to wriggle free before your eyes widened, suddenly noticing Draco as he emerged from the room.

"Oh dear.. We are in trouble" Filch smirked with a sarcastic smugness and sneered, looking at the both of you with his beady eyes, his voice echoing through the otherwise empty corridor. You looked down in defeat, excepting your fate, Snape's furious face already etched firmly in the front of your mind.

It was past the hour any students were allowed to be roaming about. Since rumours about you had spread, Professor Snape had introduced new rules restricting a lot of extracurricular activities and free movement beyond certain times for all the students. Filch had taken it upon himself to police these rules and took great joy in finding students flouting them.

Draco stared into your eyes and motioned his head to the side a little, as he stood frozen to the spot, causing you to look at him with slight confusion, eyebrow raising. He repeated the action again with more determination and you realised he was urging you to run.

You looked down at that scruffy cat at your feet as Filch began to pull on your sleeve in the direction of Slughorn's party. You knew Professor Snape was in attendance as well as numerous Slug Club members and it didn't take a genius to work out Snape would personally see to it that you never saw the light of day again if you made an appearance. You didn't have a moment to think about your escape plan properly but you pulled out of Filch's grip suddenly, fleeing the scene and almost causing him to topple over, his lantern hitting the floor with an almighty crash. You could hear his disgruntled shouts and grumbles as you ran as fast as your feet could carry you, not looking back, leaving a rather amused Draco to deal with the repercussions.

Draco looked down the corridor as you ran off, a smirk spreading across his lips. He had missed your antics. He attempted to make his own escape as Filch bent down to pick up his lantern but was instantly grabbed by his collar only a second later.

"Not so fast. You're coming with me." Filch grinned at Draco menacingly, his voice dragging out each word "I tell you now boy.. Severus won't be happy"

"Get off me. I'm attending the party you Cretin" Draco desperately squirmed in Filch's vice-like grip, letting out an irritated grunt as he was being pulled down the corridor.

It was too late for him to make a break for it, Filch had a harder grip than he did before after your little vanishing act and was beginning to tug Draco in the general direction of the festivities by the back of his collar, much to his disgust. Filch grumbled on under his breath as Draco visibly cringed, knowing he would be extremely unwelcome at the Slug Club's little party, bracing himself for the spectacle he was about to make of himself.

-

Harry and Luna had made their way to the party by now with Ginny and a few others, congregating in the corner as they observed the rest of the party. There was always an air of pretentiousness at these events but without you there, everyone seemed more subdued than usual.

"Where's Hermione?" Ginny asked curiously, looking around expectantly and with a slight look of concern etched on her features "She was coming wasn't she?"

Harry shrugged "I don't know, you were getting ready with her weren't you?"

"She told me to go on ahead actually" Ginny rolled her eyes a little at the always helpful Harry and his comments, but that slight look of uncertainty remained on her face. Hermione was never usually unreliable.