- chapter eighteen

He was only a few steps down the corridor yet you were entire worlds away, his haunting sobs from when you saw him continuously replaying over and over in your mind. You kept imagining what would've happened if he had seen you. If he was capable of keeping it a secret, maybe you could run away, make a new life somewhere, somewhere without Deatheaters or dark lords plaguing your existence.

You smiled sadly to yourself at the sappy thought of running away, pulling your duvet over yourself further. It didn't matter if it was night or day, you would always find comfort in your bed. You began to trace your circles on your pillow beside your head with your fingers as you became lost in the freedom of your memories once again.

"Must you pride yourself in being an absolute liability?" Draco was sipping on some ridiculously lavish wine, the glass elegantly perched between his fingers as you two sat, lounging, at an outdoor table at one of the Malfoy Manor Summer Balls.

"Can you blame me for drinking? This is a complete bore" You yawned a little for effect and watched across the lawn as your parents conversed with Lucius and Narcissa, others dancing under the enchanted gazebo roof that allowed for lights and all sorts of extravagant decorations to float freely like the candles in the Great Hall. You were the only two below the age of eighteen and the only reason you were both there anyway was because Lucius insisted. Something about his image and reputation. You spent most of your summers at the manor anyway, preferring it over your own home, and your parents would've dragged you along anyway. You hated the elaborate nature of these balls, they were all about flaunting wealth and superiority, and less about having a good time, but at least you had an excuse to dress up for the occasion and your floor length emerald green dress reflected even the smallest of light. Narcissa being sympathetic to you both made things a lot more bearable, especially since that meant she would slip you both some drinks every so often.

"As long as you don't make a fool of yourself and disgrace my family's name I'm not arsed" Draco shrugged, and rolled his eyes as you were now laying your head on the table, arms outstretched before you with your eyes closed, a playful smile on your lips as a few bottles of various beverages littered the table around you.

"I won't, you do a fine job of that yourself" you teased back with a grin, opening your eyes to catch his reaction. He shoved you a little with another roll of his eyes but you could see a hint of a smirk at your joke. You laughed heartedly, earning you both some disgruntled glares from some of the more pretentious folk at the ball.

"For fucks sake Y/N" Draco tried stifling his laughter, trying to stay serious as Lucius sent him a rather stern look across the lawn.

You stood up but leaned closer to whisper to Draco, causing him to sit up a little and cough awkwardly at how close you had leant into him all of a sudden. "Let's go in the maze like we used to as kids" You grabbed one of the bottles, beaming.

Draco shook his head and whispered back a little firmly as he urged you to sit down "It's late now and it's dark in there, I don't fancy it"

"Scared of the dark?" You teased and began to walk towards the entrance of the Manor's Maze.

He sat up slowly out of his seat with a sigh and grabbed your wrist once he got closer to you, leaning in to speak to you firmly once again "You'll end up complaining about being cold or tired, I know you"

"I won't! I have this" You were referring to the bottle of champagne you had in your grasp, holding it up and waving it in front of him before quickly hiding it behind the folds of your ball gown poorly, clutching it close as to not get a stern look from your parents, or worse, his.