- chapter thirty six

You awoke to the mark burning intensely as if mocking you. You couldn't even wear a sleeve over it now, the pain was almost unbearable. It was like it knew he was close, and you ignored the foreboding sense that things were only going to get worse.

The day was simply a waiting game until the evening, a meeting planned to discuss tactics would take place in the drawing room later and dread overcame you, knowing you'd have to face The Dark Lord once again.

Draco buttoned the cuffs of his suit and looked at you with a small reassuring look in his eyes. You noticed he was wearing full black now, more fitting Deatheater attire. In fact, you'd noticed most individuals were taking things a lot more seriously now, more Deatheaters opting to wear their traditional cloaks.

You despised it but Lucius had insisted you dress accordingly, opting for a mid sleeved dark dress from Narcissa's wardrobe again for you that left your marked forearm bare enough for Voldemort himself to see it in all its glory.

You stared down at your forearm now, hand in hand with Draco as you made your way to the drawing room, the portraits of the Malfoy's previous generations watching on smugly. The Manor was still incredibly cold and uninviting despite the increased footfall of people, and you rubbed your arms a little to ease the chill.

As you stepped into the drawing room, your eyes widened and trained on a familiar individual looking in your direction. Despite the familiarity his presence brought, his gaze felt extremely unfamiliar and bore deep into you with contempt.

You looked to Draco for answers but he stayed looking ahead, silent but clearly aware that you were looking his way. He didn't need to say a word for you to work it out, he already knew he was here and hadn't told you.

Theo.

Theo's gaze was unrelenting and uncomfortable and you could do nothing but stare back until his father appeared to whisper something in his ear that made him look away.

You were thankful for the loss of his intense stare but couldn't help but wonder what had happened to make him behave in this manner. Before you had more time to muse on the thought, Voldemort entered, that awful snake following in his wake.

He was seemingly delighted by your appearance and you felt Draco clutch your hand tighter as he approached you both, the room falling silent and expectant as his supporters watched on in anticipation.

"Y/N.. You join us at long last" His snake like voice licked at your ears almost and you gulped silently. There was a darkness to his smile that you couldn't quite read, he was either entirely convinced by your devotion or seeing how much further he could take things.

"I've longed for this moment, My Lord.." You forced a slight smile and noticed Draco had his head slightly bowed, cowering away from Voldemort's presence but insistent on staying by your side.

"As have I" His cold and veiny fingers clutched your wrist to examine your forearm, running his fingers over the swirling design as Draco clung to your other hand even tighter, desperate to keep a hold of you.

Voldemort sensed his unease and smirked even more, relishing in the fact Draco was suffering. The ferocity of his awful gaze as it lifted to yours almost made you shrink, "The mark suits you well"

"I am honoured to bear it" You bowed your head slightly, doing all you could to keep your composure. You felt his stone-cold touch leave your skin, realising you had been holding your breath for the entire interaction and Draco instantly moved his arm around your waist protectively, holding your back close against his chest as he rested his chin on your shoulder from behind.

He hated how Voldemort delighted in making him uncomfortable, getting to him so easily through you.

You looked around the room hesitantly, fully taking in your surroundings now. The room was filled with his supporters, far more than you'd ever seen before.